Liquor Bottle Repurpose--Coastal Candle

I'd seen old liquor bottle candles out in California on a recent trip and knew I could make one at home. I can't bear to throw out some of the really cool bottles from wine and liquor when we're finished. So, with just a few things from around the house, and maybe a quick trip to a big box store, you can have your very own Coastal Candle.
Some of the items I started with...
I started with an empty, clean liquor bottle, some twine, some gems and shells, dried sea grass or something similar from an old dried flower arrangement, and a cabinet knob and wicking. You can purchase the wicking and cabinet knobs at Home Depot or a bottle wick at a craft store.You'll also need some sand (purchased or collected from the beach).
I happen to live near the beach so I collected some sand and took a funnel and layered about an inch or so in the bottom of the bottle.
Then I placed the gems and the shells in on top of the sand and dropped in the dried sea grass/flowers for some height. Next, I carefully poured in some clear tiki-torch fluid. I did not buy a bottle wick at a craft store, choosing to make my own using wicking and a cabinet knob. I removed the screw from the knob, stuck the wicking through the knob hole and fed it down into the bottle. You can use chopsticks to move things around either before adding the liquid fuel or after. The last step was to wind some twine around the neck of the bottle. You can tie it off or glue gun the twine to finish it.
This is a great way to re-purpose those cool bottles usually thrown out or saved for some other purpose (I keep dish detergent in one by my sink too!). It's an easy project that can be tailored to your own decorating style.

• Kar28386288

Love this idea! What type of cabinet knob did you use? I assume a ceramic one.
    • Julie Deane
      19 minutes ago

What keeps the wick from pulling down into the bottle? I haven’t seen cabinet knobs that if you pull the screw out it leaves a hole in the top. I’ve only seen them where the screw doesn’t go all the way throw, but is afixed to the bottom? Hhhmn I will search. Live this project

• PJG.

This is so cool. I can't bear to throw out my old bottles; now I won't feel guilty keeping them. Question: Does the tiki fuel harm the shells, gems or whatever else is in the bottle? Thanks for sharing.

• Nancy

How did you remove the label from the bottle?

• Kate Thieman Diller

Use a blower to heat up the label and it will peel right off. Is is any residual glue remove out using a little bit of fingernail polish remover.