A Succulent Garden in a Vintage Blue & White Colander

Fried Chicken, Sweet Tea and Succulents...all staples in the house of a Southern Home. :) I am sharing this unique container for my Succulent Garden...a vintage blue and white colander.
a succulent garden in a vintage blue white colander, gardening, repurposing upcycling, succulents
I can't help it. I LOVE Succulents. Especially that darling variety known as "Hens and Chicks."
I started out with this chippy, vintage blue and white colander. The blue goes well with my other kitchen decor.
I just started layering them in with no rhyme or reason. I used the larger plants in the middle, and placed the more colorful ones around the sides.
Once I was happy with the arrangement, I used small pieces of moss and lichen to fill in some of the empty spots. I love how the moss adds another element of texture.
I have to admit, I am partial to succulents because they are one of the first plants I remember planting with my own Mama. I have a story to share on the blog, if you hop over.
Also, come over to see what my secret is for this particular garden. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. :) (see blog link below)
The Everyday Home/Barb Garrett

• Cletus

How do I keep the dirt from washing out the holes?

• Cletus this particular project uses faux plants. (I know don't they look real?) I have since planted another one with real succulents for my back deck and cut a large circle of heavy duty trash bag as a layer between the colander and the soil. I did poke a few small holes in the bottom to allow for some drainage.

• Darlene Bergesch

What do you put in the bottom of the colander? Love the way yours turned out.

• Kristen

This is such a nice use of vintage kitchenware. I may have to take a quick trip to my favorite antique store today!