DIY Backyard Sunshade

$1

I know that my mom likes sitting outside, but she always comes in pretty fast just because the sun would beam down on her. I guess I never really paid attention to the heat and sun because I was so used to it and sunscreen is my best friend. I needed something that could go in our backyard that wasn’t expensive because I still want to build a backyard kitchen and need to save for that. I also wanted something that looked a little better than the last set I made for her. Here is my DIY Backyard Sunshade that completely blocks the sun for her and now she can watch the kids play without having to rush inside. It only took about an hour to complete and it turned out better than expected. Enjoy!
diy backyard sunshade, diy, gardening, how to, outdoor living
For the full step-by-step tutorial with complete photos, click on the "Go" button below.

• .
  • .
The Kreative Life

• Vicki Ross

What are the dimensions of your canopy? ( WLH) How many side to side support bars did you use? My deck is really long. How often should a side support that goes into the re-rod be added. I would like to use canvas. One more - can you suggest something in addition to the PVC that would be sturdier and withstand lots of wind? We're in NW Iowa, land of the windmills!! Thank you.

• Bonnie Lachance

What size curtain did you use so we have some idea?????

• Bryan Biery

I use shower curtains from garage sales & Goodwil but a tarp reinforced with that tennis shoe protector spray has worked well too.
      an in expensive mister that just attaches to a garden hose (about $15.) suspended on a smple garden hanging plant arch with a fern or two & solar dragonfly light string adds coolness, wets and further cools the canvas, & adds a higher privacy and exoticness.
      consider this over a sandbox or pitting shed too;-)

• Wanda Ball

I see in one of your replies you mentioned a "mister" what exactly is this?

• Anita Elaine

The mister mentioned by Barry is probably the hose attachment commonly found in hardware stores. It has a wide shower head like look and defuses water so you can "mist" your plantings without crushing leaves and flowers.

• Susan Langley Taylor

Actually couldn't you use plastic shower curtains...some come in prints/ colors and if you used 2 it could cover more area to shade.

• Hel31076636

Another good idea to consider for the backyard. It would even make a good spot to put a buffet table under for a family gathering.