What can I make with this??

June1673412Kristen
+11

I have an antique mechanic's light with a big hook at the top that belonged to my grandpa. I don't want to just toss it, but it has a 2 pronged plug & the cord is damaged towards the end. Help me please! :(
  • DF
    DF

I'm seeing it repurposed as a hanging planter! use clear soda bottle cut in half with holes poked thru bottom for drainage, add any trailing plant that grows in your area.

• Katrina Warren
    Katrina Warren

@Debbie H What a great keepsake of your grandpa, I would not repurpose it at all! Industrial lighting is super popular right now, & cords are easy to replace you can get kits for it at most any hardware store. I would look for an old pulley then make a pendant light with it, which would be perfect to do when changing the cord so you can easily run it through the pulley! Here are a couple of examples: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/127578601920326051/ https://www.pinterest.com/pin/127578601920655898/ https://www.pinterest.com/pin/127578601920212756/ I personally would not paint it but the cage could be painted to match whatever your décor might be, shabby chic, bright & funky, etc......

• Paul
    Paul

Agree with Katrina, have one and still use it. I have even used it to pick apples from tall tree. It worked good. But still use it after putting new cord.

• Pen140650
    Pen140650

I have the exact same thing. I used to use it over my drawing table. The cord dried out but when I went to throw it out I thought "there has to be something I can make out of this". Some kind of mini bird cage - hanging plant would be perfect. I'd paint it. Good luck - let us see what you do.

• Melanie Bradley
    Melanie Bradley

I also agree with Katrina & Paul ,however I do like the picking apples idea!

• Jane R.
    Jane R.

I have one of these. It also has a two prong cord but I use an adaptor when I need to use it. I don't think these are actually antique though. Maybe classic.

• Comet
    Comet

These are still made altho hard to find in metal---ask at your local Lowes for a new cord and replaceing should take about 5 minutes--this will also allow you to get a newer plug. If you want to use it as a light but not as a "Trouble Light". There are a few Pinterest ideas---one I like is to use a wooden bracket and loop the cord over and hang as an area or accent light; I have also seen these done as a more steam punk look with the cord going thru an old pully or block and tackle---search Pinterest for these ideas I know I have a few pinned on my "Crafty S**T" (yes---spell it out!) board. We have one we inherited that actually has a reel where the cord retracts---still in use after about 50 years! Now if I could find a few more like THAT one---

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

Have a couple of these and use them.

• Kitchen Kelli
    Kitchen Kelli

I wish I had my dad's just like it...........I would mount it on the back corber of an end table and turn the covered side out so when I turned the light on, the bare lightbulb would be facing the wall and not blind me. I've been searching for one of these lights for some time for this exact reason........good luck!

• Sarah
    Sarah

I put an air plant in mine.

• Brenda Coleman
    Brenda Coleman

I love the air plant idea how beautiful that would be

• Kristen
    Kristen

Convert it into a bird feeder. Paint it and then add a tiny teacup saucer. The birds will love it, and so will you!

• 1673412
    1673412

Keep it as it is and rewire it! People are paying good money for modern knockoffs and you have the real deal! Rewiring is super easy. It would look amazing with an Edison-style bulb to keep a rustic/industrial feel to it.

• June
    June

I wouldn't repurposed it. Rewire and use in a unique and unexpected place.