Seashell Hurricane Votive DIY

$4.00

Looking for something to make with all those seashells and other treasures from the sea that you've been collecting? Why not make a knock-off of a Seashell Crystal Hurricane Votive from Frontgate. Just take a look:
Pretty isn't it? But way out of my price range. It sells for $629.00! Wow! Don't think I would buy it at any price. I would rather make one instead. A hand made seashell hurricane votive is so unique and one-of-a-kind! And believe it or not, easy to do.
To make, I used . . . Seashells collected by a friend who gifted them to me when she moved. Glass tile samples Glass vase upcycled from holding forced tulips Hot glue gun and glue
Make sure the glass container is clean and free of oils by wiping with alcohol after washing. Glue on the larger seashells first and fill in with the smaller ones. I used a towel and Styrofoam blocks to keep the glass from moving.
I tried out smaller shells on the rims first before finishing the sides to see how they would work. I used glass tile samples to imitate the crystals from the original votive.
Gluing on the seashells was almost like doing a puzzle - moving the shells around for the best fit before gluing them on.
The small shells selected seemed to fit perfect on the rim.
The glass container turned out quite stunning . . . decorated with treasures from the sea. This would look gorgeous anywhere in your home!
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Carol

i love the sea shells. but where does the glass tile go, and why?

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Thanks, Carol! I was using the tile to mimic the one from Frontgate. If you look closely, it's a narrow rectangular shape of glass.

• Linda P

Doesn't the candle burning cause the hot glue around the top to soften and let the shells fall off? Can you suggest another type of glue to use?

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

The candle is a battery LED candle that doesn't give off any heat. If you didn't want to use hot glue, most would recommend using E6000 glue. But that doesn't have a quick grab adhesion you would need for this project. Loctite makes a fast grab glue or you can try a clear drying silicone glue like the type used for caulking. A glue that would hold the shells in place while you are arranging them and then dry.

• TwoCrochet Hooks

so cute, I forgot about this! I need to make one for K's coastal themed home.

• Valerie

I am surprised that this post has not received more attention - I still think it is gorgeous!