DIY Cheap Subway Tile Backsplash

Do you want a cheap way to update your kitchen backsplash? How about for just $22 dollars? Here is how we added a subway tile look to our backsplash using paint. This can also be done using contact paper if you are renting a space. Here is our finished backsplash.
diy cheap subway tile backsplash, diy, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling
First paint the area in a grey paint (or whatever color you wanted...).
Next cut your tape using a straight-edged knife to the size you want for your grout. I wish I would have made mine a little bit smaller to 1/8".
Then tape your wall using a 3" x 6" cardboard paper as your template.
Using a credit card, make sure all the tape is sticking to the wall. But to get a crisp line, take the grey paint and paint over all the edges of the tape.
Then using a high gloss white paint, paint the whole area.
After everything has dried remove the tape and enjoy your new backsplash.
You can see more detailed instructions at: http://www.twofeetfirst.net/2015/05/diy-cheap-kitchen-backsplash.html
Megan {TwoFeetFirst}

• Pamela
    17 hours ago

Looks great !!! I would love to do this , but I put up beadboard on my cabinets, and I think the directions would clash ?

I wanted to do this but with a little hexagon shape , thought it would be too difficult to make it even looking. But after seeing how nicely yours came out, I might just give it a shot. Thanks for your post !

• Barb
      12 hours ago

run your "tiles" vertically instead of horizontal.

• Ste13773046
    15 hours ago

I am really not sure but they make a pinstripe tape for cars?? and could you use that for you grout lines. I could never cut that small a stripe and do it steadily. then peel if off after just like you blue tape. Or could they cut the blue tape at Home depot wiht the shutter and blind cutter???? my hands aren't that steady anymore.

• Sheri
    2 hours ago

If you painted the wall gray to get the grout lines, why do you have those white brick looking patches in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th picture down? You were going to paint the whole wall white to get the subway tiles, so why are those white brick strips there?