DIY Cheap Subway Tile Backsplash

Do you want a cheap way to update your kitchen backsplash? How about for just $22 dollars? Here is how we added a subway tile look to our backsplash using paint. This can also be done using contact paper if you are renting a space. Here is our finished backsplash.
diy cheap subway tile backsplash, diy, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling
First paint the area in a grey paint (or whatever color you wanted...).
Next cut your tape using a straight-edged knife to the size you want for your grout. I wish I would have made mine a little bit smaller to 1/8".
Then tape your wall using a 3" x 6" cardboard paper as your template.
Using a credit card, make sure all the tape is sticking to the wall. But to get a crisp line, take the grey paint and paint over all the edges of the tape.
Then using a high gloss white paint, paint the whole area.
After everything has dried remove the tape and enjoy your new backsplash.
You can see more detailed instructions at: http://www.twofeetfirst.net/2015/05/diy-cheap-kitchen-backsplash.html
Megan {TwoFeetFirst}

• Sheri

If you painted the wall gray to get the grout lines, why do you have those white brick looking patches in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th picture down? You were going to paint the whole wall white to get the subway tiles, so why are those white brick strips there?

• Becky

It's just a way to save a little bit of the gray paint. It doesn't need to be solid.

• Vicki

I am surprised the paint did not peel up when you pulled off the tape or was there touch up needed. I never wait until the paint has dried to pull the tape because of this. Was there a special type of paint? Tell us if there is a trick to prevent the paint from peeling up.

• Marsha Kearney

Use blue tape if you’re applying it over a painted area. It normally won’t stick to paint.

• Stephanie Mastri

Can you do this on outside foudation stucco? to look like brick? What type of paint would you need to use?

• Crystal Meyer Griffith

To really get a tile look, I would use high gloss white paint or whatever color you want to make the tiles themselves. Maybe use a satin or eggshell flat for the grout to add realism. If you wanted to get crazy, make a thick plastic stencil of the tiles. Then use joint compound to fill in the thickness of the stencil. A very real 3-D effect.

• Marilyn

I will definitely try this backsplash. Looks amazing. Thank you