DIY Cheap Subway Tile Backsplash

Do you want a cheap way to update your kitchen backsplash? How about for just $22 dollars? Here is how we added a subway tile look to our backsplash using paint. This can also be done using contact paper if you are renting a space. Here is our finished backsplash.
First paint the area in a grey paint (or whatever color you wanted...).
Next cut your tape using a straight-edged knife to the size you want for your grout. I wish I would have made mine a little bit smaller to 1/8".
Then tape your wall using a 3" x 6" cardboard paper as your template.
Using a credit card, make sure all the tape is sticking to the wall. But to get a crisp line, take the grey paint and paint over all the edges of the tape.
Then using a high gloss white paint, paint the whole area.
After everything has dried remove the tape and enjoy your new backsplash.
You can see more detailed instructions at: http://www.twofeetfirst.net/2015/05/diy-cheap-kitchen-backsplash.html

Megan {TwoFeetFirst}

• Kathleen Reedy- Akridge

That looks amazingly authentic! How long did this take you?

• Megan {TwoFeetFirst}

I think it took about five days to do the painting. This was with dry time and kids!

• Diane Taylor Noel

Looks great.. I am still debating what to do with my plain backsplash. It's already grey. I wonder if you remove the tape before it is completely dry to avoid any paint touch ups.
  • Fho3960399

Please tell me how you got the lines so straight? I want to try this but afraid I couldn't get the tape on straight.

• Ronda Denny

What color did you finally go with on the bottom cabinets? Looks amazing btw!!!

• Lisa Moy Henderson

How difficult was peeling the tape and did any white paint peel off while doing so?
    • Marlene Taylor Grexton

I’ve done this before & it turned out great. But make sure you pull the tape off as soon as you’re done painting like while the the paint is still wet.
    • Norma Watson

Use detail tape from auto store. Just the right size.

• Purtty123

I have a ceramic backsplash which is so ugly. Will this work sticking on ceramic? See picture below. Thanks!
    • Rose Broadway

Yes, but be sure you use a paint designed for ceramic.
    • Marlene Taylor Grexton

Also make sure you clean your ceramic till with a liquid sandpaper before you you pair. This cleans the surface & helps the pair adhere to the tile. Also i Used melamine paint you can get this in a water base as now
    • Marlene Taylor Grexton

Sorry auto correct that should have read tiles not till.
      & liquid sandpaper before you paint
    • Ann

This looks beautiful, what a genius and inexpensive way to update your kitchen
    • Leslie

Paint with RustOleum tub and tile paint and follow all the directions. I did this to my 70's pink tile bathroom and it looks great!
    • April Melton St Amant

Can you post a picture? I have the pink tile

• Rosann

What paint did you use to paint the tile? thanks
  • Loretta Stevens

did you have any areas besides just under cabinets. Along cabinet sides? How do you address that issue?
    • The Snarky Princess

Hey Loretta I have seen people buy a simple wood edge - then painted to match. This looks nice and it finishes off open edges nicely

• Rebecca Jenkins

Can you paint pink tile and green that is on wall and bathtub. My daughter and husband bought an older house and want to redo these tiles rather than replacing

• Pamela

Looks great !!! I would love to do this , but I put up beadboard on my cabinets, and I think the directions would clash ?

I wanted to do this but with a little hexagon shape , thought it would be too difficult to make it even looking. But after seeing how nicely yours came out, I might just give it a shot. Thanks for your post !

• Barb

run your "tiles" vertically instead of horizontal.

• Gail

I am really not sure but they make a pinstripe tape for cars?? and could you use that for you grout lines. I could never cut that small a stripe and do it steadily. then peel if off after just like you blue tape. Or could they cut the blue tape at Home depot wiht the shutter and blind cutter???? my hands aren't that steady anymore.

• Lorrie Nagel

I did a similar project a few years ago and found narrow tape widths at Grainger equipment. I used 1/4” and it turned out great. I also added a layer of glaze over the paint to make it look more like a natural tile.

• Marg Manfield

I think this would work too!!

• Sheri

If you painted the wall gray to get the grout lines, why do you have those white brick looking patches in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th picture down? You were going to paint the whole wall white to get the subway tiles, so why are those white brick strips there?

• Becky

It's just a way to save a little bit of the gray paint. It doesn't need to be solid.

• Jenn Gates MacKinnon

Thank you!! I too was curious

• Sheryll S

She painted gray OVER the tape to seal & prevent the white from seeping under the tape. I think.

• Vicki

I am surprised the paint did not peel up when you pulled off the tape or was there touch up needed. I never wait until the paint has dried to pull the tape because of this. Was there a special type of paint? Tell us if there is a trick to prevent the paint from peeling up.

• Stephanie Mastri

Can you do this on outside foudation stucco? to look like brick? What type of paint would you need to use?

• Debbie Vazquez

I removed what they call Chattahoochee around my pool many years ago

I was expecting guest for the weekend so I needed a quick fix I did this outside.Around the pool I used beige with a reddish orange grout it Looked great resembled pavers

• Cleo Powell

instead of cutting the tape maybe you could use automotive tape? They have it in 1/4 . Just a thought .

Great job!

• Lorelei Sola

I love the subway tile look without having the grout to keep clean. This paint job is great. I definitely want to do this. I may use dark blue/gray as grout color. Thank you.