Tracy Snyder
Tracy Snyder
  • Whiteland, IN

Clock Side Table

What do you get when you add a large clock face plus an unused stool? You get a great conversation piece and a great looking table. This table turned out great. I made it as a gift for my Mother-in Law and she loves it, and it looks great next to her new leather sofa.
clock side table, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
This clock would look great on a wall but I prefer my clocks to keep time and this one just wouldn't even after I installed a new kit with new hands. The stool is just a basic kitchen stool that we don't have a use for after we took out our kitchen island. It's the perfect height to be a side table though....
I started with the stool. Sanded off all the sealant that was on the legs and around the edge of the seat so that it would take the paint mixture. Mix basic black craft paint, a touch of gold paint and water. Apply slowly to the stool watching for drip marks and cleaning those up as you go. I wanted a wash effect that's why I added the water but that will cause the paint to run so take your time with this step.
After the black paint is dry with a soft cloth apply gold paint. This layer should look rubbed on instead of painted on. It gave the wood stool a great look and was similar to the paint already on the clock.
Now for the clock. Mine had a metal piece on top that I removed along with all the hardware and whatnot on the back to leave you with a flat surface.
Glue the top to the stool seat using E6000 glue according to the package directions. Use a tape measure against the stool seat edge and go around to make sure the top is centered.
When the top is on is the perfect time to paint the edge of the clock face with gold paint, a small brush and a steady hand.
Done! Now set it by your favorite chair and you have a place to hold your drink such as sweet tea and your favorite book or remote.

Tracy Snyder

• Debi Lee

I would add an "arm" and make it a sundial table. Very cute idea!
  • Em

Why not paint hands on the clock and add a center of glue to fill the hole & top it off with gold or bronze paint for the center hole.