Asked on Jan 14, 2013

Help! I burned rice & caught it on fire in the microwave! LOL The smell is terrible & stinks every time we use t

Cheryl SkalaWanda sinnemaJeanette S
+20

How do I get the burned smell out of the microwave?
  • KMS Woodworks

Ouch...my microwave is nothing fancy, and not too big. Better still it was only $39. If this had happened here If my efforts did not pan out with some cleaning and venting I would just replace it.

• Kevin, it is actually getting less smelly. When it first happened it stunk up the place every time I used it.

• Note to self: Remember to eat before going to a dinner at Lee Anne's.

• KMS Woodworks

@Kevin M. Veler, Law Office of Oooh you could always bring your own...pot luck style

• As long as it did not need to be warmed in the microwave! :D

• All my pals!! You would love my cooking!!! I thought maybe there was a baking soda remedy or something to get the odor out. Actually I think I am cooking it out.

• Z

Though it sounds like the smell is dissipating, I would still clean the inside with a baking soda paste. Maybe even leave a box of it open in there until the smell is completely gone.

• Great idea Becky, and so I shall.

• Charcoal briquettes work pretty well in removing odor from refrigerators..just don't try the "match-light" ones....

• Miriam I

I have no helpful tips to add, I'm just stopping in to say hi. :) xo

• Melody M

i heard that if you use baking soda and newspapers... they get smells out ...

• Jeanette S

Keep in mind that the microwave has fans and vents...they need to be cleaned too. I would put some lemon juice in a bowl...with perhaps a little water and heat it to a boil, then turn it off and let the steam fill up the oven and circulate through the vents. It can't hurt it! Since Febreez is not toxic, I would not be afraid to put it in and do the same.

• Luci Hersey

First I would follow Jeannette S's advice. Then I would buy some cinnaamon sticks and put them in your micro for 20 seconds or so. I've been doing it for years to help get rid of fish, popcorn or any other smells that linger after using my microwave. Check out the larger craft stores to find the larger sticks.

• HomeSpot HQ

Not sure if this will work for this instance, but I put a bowl of half vinegar and half water in the microwave and run it until it boils. Then let it sit for a couple minutes to let the solution continue to evaporate. It will help loosen up any stains on the way so you can wipe them away with a paper towel.

• Gail Salminen

@Culpepper Carpets and Interiors, Inc. - @Jeanette S is right on the mark, to use lemon juice. It will deodorize even behind the vents. You can do this in a bowl large enough not to boil over, or you soak a sponge with lemon juice placed on a dish in the microwave, no boil over to worry about. This commonly used as a cleaning treatment for microwaves. Thanks for posing the question and do let us know what works for you, I am sure everyone is interested :)

• Thank you all, I will try the lemon juice and cinnamon sticks. Great advice everyone, I am sure that white vinegar will work also. Hewitt...LOL!

• Beth at Unskinny Boppy

I've tried the bowl of vanilla trick after burning popcorn, and unfortunately about the only thing that has worked for me is time. It eventually goes away. :)

• That is good to know Beth, it has gotten better. At first it was horrible.

• CjandAmy Dickerson

Beth the adding vanilla is to loosen stuck food and being able to wipe it clean also it smells good too

• Jeanette S

Hey! I did not know adding vanilla would make cleanin the microwave easier!! Will have to try that. I cleaned mine yesterday and wound up scraping iot with my thumbnails! UGH! Hard work!

• Wanda sinnema

I always used lemon juice and baking soda in a bowl of cool water: heat until all steamy inside.. everything wipes off. If its really really bad, give it a 2nd go. REAL VANILLA EXTRACT kills fish odors in a kitchen, set an open bottle of the real stuff on the counter for a few hrs, no fishy smell. I think maybe putting a little bit in a small glass dish might work in the micro..Our house its usually popcorn.. that gets burnt..

• Cheryl Skala

my microwave and have tried orange slices in a big bowl of water and put it on for 10 min....still stinks ..Ive tried Fabreeze and it still stinks!