RemodelOrMove.com
RemodelOrMove.com
  • Sunnyvale, CA
Asked on Jan 14, 2013

Top ways to get your home ready to sell...any other good ideas?

JD PowersDesireeRemodelOrMove.com
+10

Firstly, cosmetic changes: clean up the yard, plant flowers and put down nice mulch in the front yard. Add new house numbers, mailbox and front exterior light fixture for a fresh, inviting appeal. If the exterior of the home needs to be painted, get it painted - even if it's just the front. Also consider replacing the front door or giving your existing one a fresh coat of paint.
Add fresh paint in the entry hall, kitchen and bathrooms - these are the rooms that appeal most to potential buyers! Paint your interior doors and door trim, and if dated or damaged then replace door knobs or doors altogether. New carpets and vinyl flooring make the house look clean and bright. Replace light fixtures if they are damaged or dated.
Remove most of your belongings - empty closets look larger than full ones! You should also remove most family photos and personal items.
Carry out a few big renovations that are must-dos (both interior and exterior). Focus on the front exterior of home, entry hall, bathrooms and kitchen; paint exterior, replace front door, exterior lights, front landscaping.
Paint bathrooms and the kitchen, possibly add a new toilet, vanity and sink in bathroom, depending on the condition of existing ones. Maybe also replace flooring. Unfortunately many of the changes in the kitchen are big and expensive; painting or refacing cabinets is sometimes manageable. Install new linoleum or vinyl flooring depending on what is in the kitchen already. Add new cabinet knobs if current ones are dated, and maybe a new countertop depending on the cost. Replace your appliances if current ones are damaged or dated.
Let us know your top tips to getting your home ready to sell!
q top ways to get your home ready to sell any other good ideas, real estate
  • Neatsmart

I totally agree with these suggestions. I just think you shouldn't have to wait to sell your home to spruce it up a bit. You live there so you should enjoy it!

• RemodelOrMove.com

Aint that the truth! We only clean up for company, we only exercise after a health scare, we only save money after losing a job,....we are a funny bunch! If only my house looked like company was coming over - every day all day! How is the winter in Georgia? Out here in california it has been cold!!! Not use to that.

• HomeSpot HQ

One thing that is often overlooked is taking down family photos and personal items. You don't buyers feeling like their are walking through someone else's home.

• RemodelOrMove.com

That's very true, Tyler - and having less personal items on display also helps the buyer imagine their belongings in the space. If they can truly project and see themselves living there then you're more likely to achieve a sale.

• Jennifer

Great list. We have begun to spruce up or house with the anticipation of putting it on the market. We have said if we decide not to sell, we will just have a nicer house to live in :)

• Sharons

unclutter every room it looks better to the buyers coming in ,and bake cookies for an open house with fruit in the rooms instead of the flowers .

• RemodelOrMove.com

Good idea Jennifer! See which works better for you - who knows, maybe after making some improvements you'll decide you like the house you're in. If you're still stuck with remodeling vs moving, try our free online calculator for a quick cost estimate :) http://www.remodelormove.com/remodel-or-move

• RemodelOrMove.com

Nothing beats the smell of fresh baked goods! And a plate of cookies or muffins at the door provides a real welcome for potential buyers.

• Neatsmart

I've heard about baking cookies and I think that can be nice. Fresh flowers and plants around the house give it life, literally, and give a home that extra, chic touch. RemodelOrMove.com: the weather in GA is great and typical winter. One weekend it is 70 degrees and the next it is 30. Welcome to the south!

• RemodelOrMove.com

Excellent blog with sound advice - I agree it's important to get an inspection done yourself before you put your home on the market in order to avoid any nasty surprises down the line. It's not all just about making your home look pretty!

• Desiree

I could write a blog about what my husband and I are going through. Who knew with so much diy-ers around, people would ask you to change paint color, carpets, and remove all your belongings so they can envision living in this space. Selling our place is turning out to be a nightmare and getting more and more stressful.

• JD Powers

I'm a Realtor and I often give the same advice to my Sellers. The one thing I get most of the time when visiting a home for the first time and speaking with a Potential Seller… incense! DO NOT BURN Incense. There are plenty of people out there that love the smell of some incense, rosemary, and other herbs.. but just the same there are plenty of people who are sensitive to smells and could be allergic (causing migraines) So you don't want to aggravate Buyers who are visiting your home for a potential sale! You don't want to limit your Buyer pool. Baked goods are always a winner because it subliminally reminds people of home. Do not use plug ins… a topic for another day… use table top fresheners that require batteries and not strong baked smells and not several all over the house, just one on the kitchen counter, or even Oranges. If you have wooden furniture give a quick rub down with orange smelling furniture polish before a showing. Food is the way to a MAN's heart even though women are mostly the home buyers we market to. oh another thing… throw your curtains in the wash! Unwashed curtains can give a musty unwelcoming smell. Good Luck!!