Carole
Carole
  • Australia

Creative Raised Garden Bed and Containers

My neighbour was getting rid of a cedar bookcase. He asked me if I was interested. I offered him twenty dollars and he agreed. He did not know I was going to knock the backing board off of it and take out two of the floating shelves and use it as a raised garden bed though! I have sown cornflower seeds in one section, candytuft in the middle (not sure they are going to come up though) and I am starting some Dianthus seeds indoors to plant into another section of it. I thought of doing edibles but I don't know what the cedar has been treated or stained with so thought safer to grow ornamentals. I also got a round sink from him for free which I am using as a planter and I also picked up locally from kerb side throw out this metal case which I am using to plant up succulents. I will have to post again when all these plants have got going. We are currently coming to the end of autumn and entering winter in June.
creative raised garden bed and containers, container gardening, flowers, gardening, raised garden beds

• Hannah V

Oh I love the succulents!

• Carole

@Hannah V Thanks. They are looking a bit rough at the moment, which is part of the reason they have been re-potted. I am hoping they will fare better in fresh mix and with more space. Coming into winter now so I am thinking they will pick up when we get to spring.

• Penelope Lopez

I love your creative ideas especially the bookcase. I have a Memorial Garden in my front yard for my daughter and granddaughter that were killed in a car accident on September 3, 2012.