A Dollar Store Find Inspired Me To Totally Organize My Spices & Herbs

$50.00

My spices and herbs were sort of organized but it was a system I was not really happy with. I had been on the hunt for a better system for storing my dried spices and herbs. The system I had in place was OK but I had some issues with it.

I wanted to store all of my spices, herbs and even cooking and baking pantry basics like baking powder, baking soda and cornstarch in the same type of container. I love the look of continuity when organizing! I also wanted short and wide jars versus the tall and narrow kind so I could stack them and fit more on the wire-shelving unit I have installed on one wall in my pantry. I also wanted the containers to be transparent and easy to label so the contents were easy to find. They also had to be easy to clean and I did not want to spend a lot of money for each jar because I needed to buy about fifty containers.
My hunt ended when I found the perfect type of jars I was looking for at the dollar store. They even had two sizes. The only problem was that because I needed so many and wanted them all to be the same colour I did have to drive to three different stores in the city. Luckily this dollar store is a chain.
I used a label maker to make transparent labels for each jar. The spices and herbs that start within A – H are kept on one wire shelf.
The spices and herbs that start within I – Z are kept on the shelf below.
The white pantry basic are lined up in their new storage jars on their designated shelf.
I am so happy with this new system for all of the reasons I mentioned earlier. Spices and herbs are so pretty with all of their different colours and textures. Even the white jars with the black lids look quite pretty sitting in their storage place conveniently ready to use when needed.
Each jar cost a dollar. I know… the larger jars were same price as the smaller ones? The total cost for this organizing project was about $50.00 I do see using this very convenient system for a lot of years so it was worth the investment.
I invite you to check out the original blog post where I share tips and information about the best way to store spices and herbs!
Take Care,
Thea

3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Time With Thea

• Mary A Tholemeier

I am going to make the spice racks! Genius! Where did you get the racks & how are they attached? Unable to tell in pictures. Thanks for sharing.

• You can get them from Walmart or a storage store like bed,bath and beyond. Even the dollar tree may have them available. They look like half selves with knoggles to screw in to a wall or door.

• MARY KERN

DO THESE JARS HAVE SHAKERS UNDER THE LIDS??

• Andrea

Where did you get the labels for the jars?

• She made them, crickets help with that or you can get little chalk labels from a craft store. These are really awesome when used with a chalk pen or you can get chalk duct tape too. Its amazing!! You can do the same with it as you would the labels.