From Ugly Duckling House to Cutest on the Block

In March I went to Idaho to look for a second home. One that my daughter and husband could live in, but I would be able to have a place to go to also. There wasn't a lot to choose from, but after refusing this house once came back to it. Let's see what we can do to bring new life to a much neglected place.
My friends wondered what was I thinking, but later decided I'd made a good choice.
The living room had a wonderful fireplace that we loved. Daughter kept saying, "mom I know we can clean it up". But the mess. Stuff everywhere.
The kitchen wasn't any better. We'll take the overhead cabinet down over the return to open up the area.
Working like crazy to get the area prepared for contractors. Yes, the couch and a chair was left. We'll recover them.
A porch- wouldn't a porch make this house? I spent hours searching different sites for porch ideas. Finally came up with one.
It would have been nice to swap the broom closet and fridge, but moving the stove, vent etc. was more than we decided to do. Everything is so nice and new now. We kept the original 1966 all wood cabinets as we wanted to keep the country cottage feel. They actually are in good shape.
Living room is a little different now as the chair has been recovered. Couch is next. Laminate flooring in all rooms except kitchen, bath and laundry. Blinds also installed.
Remember the porch? It's about done and everyone loves it. A " sittin porch" as a neighbor calls it. But just wait ------------
The house is now painted. People woulddrive by just to see the transformation, but of course they can't see the inside. The inspector couldn't believe what we did in 25 days. New roof, electrical, paint throughout, all new flooring, kitchen updates and of course the porch.

Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors

• Rosemary Smart
    Rosemary Smart

So how did the fire place turn out?

• Gini
      Gini

We left the fireplace as is. Just had it cleaned and checked out. It's used all the time fir heat and works really well.

• Mary
    Mary

Fabulous! Could you share some of the sites you used to look at different porch options? Love what the porch did for curb appeal!

• Gini
      Gini

At first started on Houzz and posted the picture of the house. No one even paid any attention. Then in looking at other transformations noticed one person that was always offering help. Contacted them and asked if they would help me. She did not have much to say about the porch and infact asked wouldn't I prefer to do something in the back? But my reply was, no this house needs something in front first. She did help with many other things. Now I can't remember if it is this site or Houzz that has some one that does a lot with porches. Put porches in on both sites and see what you get. Good luck.

, This house was my inspiration It started with a house similar to ours My contractor came up with the dimensions to fit our place and we are thrilled Since a new roof was being put on it was the perfect time