How to Create a Rustic Wood Footstool With Jute Twine

$10

Learn how to transform an old beat up foot stool into a rustic and beautiful place to rest your feet!
Rather than paint a footstool I purchased at an antique store, I decided that I wanted to "upholster" it in something. Originally I thought of sisal, but settled on a heavy jute twine because it was softer and easier to work with.
The transformation began when I sanded off the original finish that was on parts of the wood footstool. The sanding revealed a beautiful wood beneath that I choose to leave unfinished.
The twine was wrapped around the wood top in one direction. Then going in the opposite direction, the twine was weaved in to create an upholstered top.
To finish the footstool off, I added a piece of jute twine around the entire base where the upholstered section meets the wood.
I think the twine combines with the bare wood to create a beautiful rustic farmhouse footstool. What do you think? Check out the full tutorial and more images on my blog!

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Jamie

• Debi Pipla Pickens

It turned out lovely! Did you just poke the jute ends between the 2 layers of wood? I'm wondering what you did with all of ends.
  • Karen

I have a lovely old patio chair, would like a macrame backrest. Would love advice for this newbie. So many designs to love, how to make one fit my project? Thank you for your input.

• Jacqueline

Hi Karen. Macrame is beautiful. After learning the technique of macrame through practicing, first determine how much total cord you will require. Next you will need the curve at the top to hold still. I am unsure of the material of the chair backrest. This is my opinion based on what I see in the photo and of course there are many other options. Because the backrest is curved, the foundation of the macrame must be secured in place. For this reason, two choices exist: 1) use nailhead tacks or bolts to create a stopper for the macrame threads or 2) create the macrame backrest separately then tie the new backrest to the chair. The seat should be straightforward. Let us know what you decided to do.

• Jette

I love this look! I have a senior cat (16 yrs young), Buster has arthritis and needs a stool like this to get up on the bed. Buster would love the jute. Our question is how do you start the jute basket weave? Is it attached to something?

Never mind... I just pushed the go button above which took me to your page, which gives extensive instructions for this project. I too love foot stools so I subscribed to your newsletter.

Thank-you!

Jette

• Maude LaFountain

I have 2 chairs that a friend gave to me that need to have this done to them they were Wicker but the Wicker got so bad that there was no trying to fix the Wicker .....so she gave me the chairs and I need to do something like this to them so that they can be used again....Put New Life into Something old ...

• Francine Miranda

Awesome "fix"; looks great!