Cristin Frank
Cristin Frank
  • Buffalo, NY
Asked on Jan 15, 2013

What DIY Shortcuts Are Best to Avoid

Kim GallagherKimDeb@homewardFOUNDdecor
+11

I like to keep things simple, but have found that shortcuts can sometimes backfire. For an article I'm writing I'd love to get quotes and tips from bloggers on what steps are critical to success. Thank you! (You will be mentioned by name w/ blog link so please provide.)
  • Jennifer rizzo

Not properly prepping a surface to be painted!It seems like most paint/primer will stick to anything, but it pays to take an extra step to keep the paint from peeling off or flaking later when you don't want it to! JenniferRizzo.com

• Mom4Real

The shortcut that backfired for me was using an edger to paint. Taping and cutting in with a good angled brush is the only way to go when painting, especially around trim. Jessica @ Mom 4 Real www.mom4real.com

• ViewAlongTheWay

Sounds like a fun article! I'd say: Buying the cheapest paint. It's worth a couple extra dollars to be able to use fewer coats of paint and have a richer end result.

• ViewAlongTheWay

Oops! I'm Kelly at www.viewalongtheway.com.

• Deb@homewardFOUNDdecor

Rushing a paint finish on a project ;0) We all want instantly visible results, but it pays to plan before you begin. Make sure you have all of the components you need AND the time to complete the project properly- including paint drying time! From prep to primer, base, glaze, and finish coats, it's worth it to wait for a completely dry surface before moving on to the next step. It's also important to make sure you are using paint products in a recommended temperature room - painting a table in a freezing cold garage isn't going to give you good results. Ever! Debi Ward Kennedy www.HOMEWARDfoundDecor.com

• Evey's Creations

NEVER skip the last step of ANY project! You know, the one that ensures your project will be a long lasting, FINISHED one! A painted piece of furniture, for example should be properly sealed, either with a wax or a polyurethane to avoid damage to the finish! Or in a sewing project, taking the time to make sure you haven't left any strands or threads loose to avoid seams that come undone or fabric that frays! Take the time to truly finish your project! -Evey from Sweet Song Bird http://sweetsongbird.eveyscreations.com/

• Marty's Musings

Making sure you have all the supplies necessary to finish the step/project so you don't end up with a run to Lowe's or Home Depot at 10:00 at night, only to find them closed. http://www.martysmusings.net

• Pat S

If you've never done a project and instructions are available, follow them. Take advantage of someone else's mistakes and successes and avoid your own. http://thejourneysend-journeysend.blogspot.com/

• Donna R

One DIY shortcut never to take that I have learned from experience ... letting a friend or family member do a job just because they say, "I can do it." Make sure you have seen prior work they've done in the past before you give the okay, because it's more expensive and causes hard feelings to have a professional come in to re-do it. -)

• Deb@homewardFOUNDdecor

Cristin, thank you again for including my 'tip' in your published article!

• Kim

When you start getting too impatient, too excited to get it done...WALK AWAY! That's my biggest problem. Best to take a day off and come back to it!

• Kim Gallagher

How to make a wall from fence slats