2ms2
2ms2
Asked on Jan 15, 2013

Painting over laminate?

Reinvented CollectionLandlightSSeidman Paperhanging
+2

I have super old plastic laminate covered cabinet doors. I would like to paint them with chalkboard paint. Is this possible?
  • 3po3

Hi Chaya, I painted over a laminate-coated desk with magnetic primer and chalkboard paint without a problem. I just sanded the surface to scuff it up a little bit, then painted. Here's the results: http://www.hometalk.com/694917/magnetic-chalkboard-desk I definitely recommend primer. You don't have to go magnetic, of course, but it worked for me. However, if I recall from a previous post, you are in a rental. This is going to be hard to undo when you move out, if needed.

• Redoux Interiors

I agree, just scuff the surface. I usually like to use a primer over laminate unless I am using a chalk based paint. Different from chalkboard paint. You can literally paint over anything, there is always a product to make the paint stick. Good luck!

• Seidman Paperhanging

My primer of choice would be Zinnser's BIN it's a pigmented shellac and is really tough. Use a throw-away brush or use amonia & water for clean-up

• LandlightS

Sherwin-Williams has a primer that works great on laminate. Just don't remember the name. No need to scuff the surface of the laminate with this product. Good luck, Gary

• Reinvented Collection

Yes you can use a chalk paint over laminate, however you really want to sand the shine off the laminate and give it a good scruff down with TSP or hot water with lemon juice. The lemon juice cuts any oil residue efficiently.