Concrete Garden Balls

Concrete crafts are really fun to make. You start with messy gooey mix that you pour into a mold and in the end you wind up with a solid sleek surface.
These concrete garden balls are wonderful surprises tucked in between ferns or lining a walkway. The best part is that they're simple and only require a little mess.
These concrete garden balls are made with portland cement and peat moss mixed together. The ratio of peat moss to portland cement depends on how shiny or rustic you want the balls to be. All portland cement with no peat moss will result in a very shiny smooth surface. A 1:1 ratio of cement to peat moss will result in a very rustic garden ball full of tiny holes with a matte surface. I made these with about a cup of peat moss to 6 cups of portland cement.
To make the garden balls you'll need these glass globes. You can find them new at any hardware store but you can usually find them much cheaper at thrift stores or garage sales.
Pour the cement mix into the globes and let them sit until the cement is hardened, about 2-3 days.
Once the cement is dry, gently break away the glass with a hammer. Do this outside while wearing safety glasses. Be very careful because glass shards will fly. Cover the ground with a tarp or trash bag for easy clean up. If you used a lot of peat moss, you might have to clean up the ball with a wire brush and water to clean out the holes in the cement surface.
In the end you'll have these great concrete garden balls to enjoy.

3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Bobbie Byrd - Clumsy Crafter

• Amber D. Freeman

These look awesome. Has anybody tried glitter? Do you think that would work with that. I think I might try it, and see how it comes out. thanks for the idea. :-)

• Barb in Texas

Put the glitter on the outside, after you've taken the glass off, and then seal to make it weather-sort-of -proof.

• Molly Chris Mathis

Maybe enclose the mold in a plastic bag before removing the glass?

• Kent Pavelka

What do you do with them after you break the glass away from the concrete? Are they painted with something? The 2nd to last photo looks like the concrete but the last photo has the white glassy look to it. Have to finish them with something after breaking the globe away from the concrete, right?

• Redbird

I like these they are really cute. I want to get the giant plastic balls that kids play with. The kind that Walmart sells and fill them up with concrete. Then when they are dry I will cut the plastic away from them and paint them a bright color to put at the end of my drive.

• Skiier68

Yes!!! Love love love this