Luci Hersey
Luci Hersey
  • Venice, FL
Asked on Jan 16, 2013

Help for Old Bathroom Mirrors

Diana DeileyZGail Salminen
+13

We bought our house with these mirrors in our Master Bath and we never did anything about them. Now I would like to make a change and not sure what people thinks about them. Should I get rid of them, or change the way they are displayed. They are suppose to be just decrective, but I do use them when I walk into the bathroom to check out the outfit I just put on before work. lol
q help for old bathroom mirrors, bathroom ideas, home decor
  • KMS Woodworks

I would swap them out with a big single mirror.

• Neatsmart

I agree with KMS Woodworks: replace the mirrors with 1 large mirror. It doesn't have to go to the ceiling like these do. Besides, it is bad feng shui to have "broken" images of yourself reflected.

• Z

I think they are pretty, but if you are ready for a change I'd remove them and add a full length mirror elsewhere to view your outfit and paint the wall.

• Gail Salminen

@Luci Hersey - you can do a search on this site for bathroom mirrors - many creative ideas! Personally the segmented mirrors would drive me nuts! For our reno I purchased an extra large wood framed mirror from hmdepot for only $60 - have also seen some gems at homesense - however that was about 4 years after our reno, but were also economical. But I would check to see what some of the creative people on the site have posted, I am always amazed at what I find on here :) Thanks for posting the question and please do post your results! Love to see what people do.

• Jeanette S

This is not an expensive item that you might want to redo...throw it out! Pick up a larger mirror at a thrift store and put it in there. You will also have some space for some storage shelves, shallow cabinets, or hooks for bathrobes.

• Luci Hersey

As of today the mirrors are down. Found old wallpaper behind them. I now have to strip that off and refinish the wall somewhat. I did find a perfect mirror for that large area at Steinmart. Need to get that baby before it's gone! lol Thanks for all your thoughts. As I mentioned on a couple other of my posts, that my husband is fighting me all the way on everything I'm doing. Believe me I haven't done much, just changed the faucets, towel bars (after painting) and a few other small changes. No new shower stall, vanity or even lighting! UGH

• Z

Sorry about your husband fighting you with this.

• Luci Hersey

What can I say...I've been with him for 32 years and he just feels decorating or redecorating is a big waste of money. "I don't care if it's been like that forever, it looks fine and there is no reason to waste money changing anything".. lol

• Jeanette S

Lucy, I know what you mean. Most men love wood and brick and cannot understand why in the world we want to change it. Some of those old red and dark bricks are ugly! The houses in our area that have been painted out look stunning! I finally brought myguy around to agreeing to paint the brick on the fireplace...painting the outside is next! I'm getting there. As for the inside, he just says "yes mam" since he admits that he is only the worker bee. He is very good at flooring, wallpaper, paint....just about everything except carpentry! And importantly, he knows what to keep his hands off of...electricity, major plumbing and high places.

• Sharons

no their dated you need new ones !

• Z

@Luci, I can understand where he's coming to a certain degree, but sometimes we just need changes in our surroundings. We've been married 32, almost 33 years now. Is "your song" by any chance "Longer" by Dan Fogelberg? It seems everyone I know that got married in 1980 has that as their song. Ofcourse I think it's an awesome song since I'm a big Dan fan. @Jeanette, I'm with the guys on the brick and wood. Very rarely would I chose to paint either. Not that I don't think it looks nice painted, it just wouldn't be my preference since I'm pretty much a naturalist on things like that.

• Luci Hersey

No Becky, our song was "Just the way you are" by Billy Joel. I like Dan Fogelburg too though. lol I think he is coming around about redecorating the bathroom and master bath. I guess he figures I'm going to do it anyways. FINALLY!

• Z

Oh that's a good song Luci. Fits you two by what you wrote. ;^) And I mean that in the best of ways too. Marriage is such a wonderful thing, but you do have to want it to work. It's not always easy, but so worth it. We only knew each other 3 months and 8 days when we married almost 33 years ago so there was a whole lot of getting to know each other after we married.

• Gail Salminen

@Luci Hersey - I understand your position, after 35 years hubby doesn't buck me much anymore. He occasionally goes for a golf week or weekend. When he returns he learns of my new decor scheme. He once went away for a weekend and returned to a burgundy family room LOL. Before he left he thought the colour was to dark, but on return he really liked it. He now even participates in selecting the colours, well at least the tone.

• Z

@Gail Salminen my hubby used to say that he was afraid to come home after dark because he might run into something because I used to move the furniture so often. I still move it, but not near as often. Maybe he's just used to it so no longer says anything. He now takes part in most of the choices in our current home, but we were the contractors. At first I had to somewhat push the issue that I wanted his input. Granted there have been a few times I wish I wouldn't have done that. Ha ha ha.

• Diana Deiley

Oh my friend, save those mirrors and use them in a narrow hallway. I live in a doublewide in Nokomis and used 5 of the exact mirrors in my hallway and am so glad I did. They do a wonderful job bringing in light.