Pat S
Pat S
  • Titusville, FL
Asked on Jan 16, 2013

know what this is?

Christine EllsworthAcorn Ponds & WaterfallsSharons
+9

q know what this is, gardening
  • Miriam I

No, but eager to hear what the experts say! @360 Sod (Donna Dixson) :)

• KMS Woodworks

Poison ivy....I learned that one back was I was 7 years old in Michigan. Out here in the arid west we do not have much at all. None on my property here in Colorado or on our 42 acres in New Mexico.

• "Leaves of 3, let it be. Berries white, a poisonous sight." @KMS Woodworks It is common in the Black Forest near Colorado Springs. Often on south facing slopes between 6,000 and 7,000 feet in elevation.

• KMS Woodworks

Brian I have seen it here just not like back in the midwest. I remember seeing acres of the stuff and finding just about everywhere when I lived there.

• The irony is that it grows along the front range foothills, where the most people are... Denver Mountain Parks, Flat Irons, Eldorado, Horsetooth etc.

• Pam Mullins

This grows wild here, all over the woods, beside the country roads, in apple orchards, etc., in Southwest Virginia. An old abandoned mailbox down my road is completely covered

• TRD Designs Ltd.

rhus radicans aka poison ivy.

• In some places it grows along with Rhus trilobata, which has edible berries... but the two are not easily confused. Just investing that members of the same genus can be poisonous or edible. Good to know your stuff, before grazing.

• KMS Woodworks

Similar in concept to Nightshade and Tomatoes...

• Sharons

yes poison ivy ! dont pick it from the stems use a shovel and gloves and wash your clothes after too !

• Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls

I hope you don't have too much that Poison Ivy @Pat S! Be very careful while removing@. Wear gloves, long sleeve shirts and long pants. To be extra safe wear goggles, dust mask and be sure to wash your clothes separately afterwards. We also have that here in Rochester NY. It really likes to grow around trees.

• Christine Ellsworth

Never , never burn poison ivy.