Pottery Barn Flag Hack

$35

I have always loved this wooden American flag from Pottery Barn. But not enough to part with $160 for it. So when I found out this month's chosen item in my blogging design challenge was 2 X 4's, I decided to hack it.
pottery barn flag hack, crafts, how to, outdoor living, patriotic decor ideas, seasonal holiday decor, woodworking projects
Since I have zero woodworking skills, I planned my measurements before going to Home Depot. I used 1 X 4's instead of 2 X 4's so it wouldn't be too heavy to hang. I had Home Depot cut the wood for me. I found out the hard way that 2 X 4's don't actually measure 2" X 4", they are about 1/2 inch less than that.
I had one of the 1 X 4's cut into thirds to use as my backing. I secured those to the back with a nail gun.
Once the flag was assembled, it was time to paint the design. First, I painted the whole thing white. I decided to do the stars Betsy-Ross style. I attached removable star decals to the wood and painted over them with my blue paint.
Once that was dry, I removed the star decals and used painter's tape to tape off my stripes. After the red stripes were dry I used a sanding sponge to distress the flag.
TheHoneycombHome

• Lori

what size did it turn oyt to be? and how big is the blue field??

• Shawna Bailey

She used 1x4's which are actually 3.5 inches tall which means this (with 6 boards) is 21 inches tall

• Kriste

Where did you get the star decals?