Does anyone have a good recipe for ant killer?

Debbie/Dragonfly TreasureScott FoxShaley
+32

I'm looking for a dog friendly, environmentally friendly recipe to kill the MILLIONS of ants we have in our yard! I really don't want to use harsh chemicals but we have so many ants on our lawn...
  • Cheryl Clark
    Cheryl Clark

Use diatomaceousearth, it will kill the ants and do no harm to your pets. See link: http://www.diatomaceousearth.com/

• Mud1473538
    Mud1473538

Terro. A great product for killing ants. It's a thick liquid that takes just a few drops on a piece cardboard. The ants gather around it like a buffet. Then they carry it back to the nest where it kills the rest. It's cheap, a small bottle will last a year or more. Especially good for indoors because there's zero odor. Must leave the ants alone for 24 hours so they can carry the Terro back and kill the queen. It's great. I bought mine at Lowes but it's available on Amazon.

• Mud1473538
    Mud1473538

• Jane coe
    Jane coe

you really don't need to kill the ants, just ask them to move from where they are bothering you and find a place where you can all live in peace. it's not crazy, try it : explain to them that in 24 hrs you will be taking measures in the current location that will harm them so it is in their greatest good to relocate.

• Terry Gardetto
    Terry Gardetto

Easy! 1/4 C Baking Soda 1/2 C Powdered Sugar Add tsp+ until you have a thin paste. Spread around where they are crawling. Pour into nest if you see one. This food source causes them to fill up with gas and explode. Ants cannot release gas as humans. Also pet and child safe. It works great!

• Tawnya Tucker
    Tawnya Tucker

Boric Acid-sprinkle it on and it works great will wash off easy though-I recommend it be put behind retining walls and between cracks so the animals dont lick it-you can use it for an eye rinse so it cant be to dangerous around pets-

• Deezie
    Deezie

I get DE from Amazon for my chickens but I use it for bugs also. It will kill ALL bugs. Just sprinkle alittle on. good luck

• Deezie
      Deezie

@Jane R. Hi Jane, When we clean out the chicken coop, we sprinkle it all over the ground, nest box, anywhere they are in contact. We have no flies at all. Also it keeps them from having mites. We use the food grade kind.

• Kelly
    Kelly

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I'm going to win this war on ants :)

• Terrry T
    Terrry T

If they are inside the house wipe counter tops and floors down with a mixture of white vinegar and water. A 50/50 ratio should do the trick.

• Kaye Watkins
    Kaye Watkins

Diatomaceous Earth works for any crawling insect. Not harmful to pets or people.... food grade DE is also a dietary supplement.

• Brenda
    Brenda

Nematodes.

• Patricia Ferryman
    Patricia Ferryman

we spread Epson salts around the hole they catty it into the hole

• Liz Straughn
    Liz Straughn

I heard cornmeal works well. They eat it and swell up and die.

• Vicki
    Vicki

I've heard like above grits work too!

• Emilie Walling
    Emilie Walling

PUT SOME SWEET AND LOW OR EQUAL (2-3 PACKAGES) ON THE BED, BUT DO NOT DISTURB THE BED. IN A COUPLE OF DAYS NO ANTS!

• Melissa
    Melissa

Grits is what I use

• Shirley Kalinosky
    Shirley Kalinosky

The easiest is slicing cucumbers and putting them on the anthill. I have done this for years at different houses and it always works. In fact, I have a new house that has them out in the yard and I am heading to the store today for groceries and getting some cucumbers just for that.

• UpState
    UpState

I also was told about the "Equal" packages mixed with regular table salt...worked well - but my dog loved it too ! He didn't die, which was good, but he then took to drinking alot of water and was relieving himself everywhere for a few days. Fewer ants, but alot of urine everywhere !

• Missy Polen
    Missy Polen

My husband had a bad problem with fire ants in Florida where he is from. He said that they used grits. It works somehow. Don't know if it works the same way as if birds eat rice or what... If you want I will ask him more details and get back to you.

• Nan
    Nan

Add a little jelly and borax together to make a bit of a paste. Place near where you see a lot of ants and they will soon disappear.

• Carol
    Carol

MIX EQUAL AMOUNTS OF SUGAR, ( CHEAPEST ) WITH EQUAL AMOUNT OF BORAX ( 20 MULE TEAM, ORIGINAL KIND ) MIX WELL, THIS IS A DRY MIX. KEEP IN DRY AIR TIGHT CONTAINER. SPREAD WITH TROWEL AROUND THE BASE OF YOUR FOUNDATION, AND OR OVER ANT HILLS IF YOU HAVE MANY. DO NOT KILL ANY ANTS IN THE HOUSE AFTER TO BROADCAST. GIVE IT TIME. IT WORKS. WHAT THEY DO IS TAKE THE BORAX BACK TO THE HIVE. THEY ALL DIE. WE DO THIS EVERY TWO WEEKS FROM SPRING TO JUST BEFORE THE END OF FALL. WONT HURT BIRDS, CATS OR DOGS.

• Nan13941069
      Nan13941069

carol, Im in a log house with a wrap-around porch & we had a terrible time with ants ONLY AT NIGHT, from under the porch. They got a hole right between logs & came in as they pleased.
      If you got up to the washroom in the night, there could be 20 ants!!
      We have dogs & cats & a loose parrot & didn't want to use any chemical & I couldn't figure out how to encourage these large black ants to go to the woods.
      Worse...my husband insists on eating in bed! I told him he's literally calling the ants into the bedroom.
      (Like who does that, eh?!)
      I was even sleeping in the guest room because of these tons of ants on the carpet.
      I think you get the picture of the extreme situation with these clever ants, who
      would only come in at night?
      I read about the borax & sugar & mixed a quantity & put it out on napkins all along the bottom logs & sure enough, soon there were no more ants. NONE!

I would DEFINITELY recommend borax & sugar to anyone with an ant issue.✔

• Bbc10296812
    Bbc10296812

Try cinnamon. I had an ant problem in our three season porch when we first moved here. An older neighbor told me to try cinnamon. Just plain old cinnamon. I purchased a large jar from Costco and puffed some on the source by simply squeezing the large plastic container. I probably was a bit compulsive about applying it -- heck, it's truly harmless to man and pet -- and within a week they were gone. I also used cinnamon on the outside where I suspect the ant problem had started! Again, it worked like a charm; they've never returned! Over the years, I've used cinnamon for a variety of pest problems -- including a spot on our siding where a woodpecker was trying to gain entry -- and it's always worked! (For the woodpecker problem, I sprayed the area with water and immediately poofed cinnamon until it was completely covered with cinnamon. The water helped the cinnamon adhere to the house's siding!) I guess pests don't like the taste of cinnamon! Good luck!

• Mo Con
    Mo Con

I mix 3 Tbsp Borax, 3 Tbsp sugar, 2 cups warm water. soak a cotton ball place it in a pop bottle lid near the trails. they lap it up, taking it back to their nest. just keep the lids wet a day or two and your good. haven't seen an ant since. been 6 months

• I use a solution of Borax 3 table spoons and some sugar (3 or 4 tablespoons)dissolved in warm water . I stick them down inside a pop bottle .The ants can crawl in, but a dog or cat etc can't get it. I lay them in the area of infestation and sometimes it only takes one day to get results.
  • Em
    Em

Boillng water will work
  • Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

streight vinaigrette or bleach works to
  • Sally Lang Stoddard
    Sally Lang Stoddard

My friend says sheuses baby powder. The ants walk around on it take it back into the anthill and it kills them. I just tried it today so I can't attest to the sucess of it but it is certainly easy enough to do!
  • M.b15858424
    M.b15858424

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. You can buy a fifty pound bag and get it deliver for less than fifty dollars. It will kill all crawling insects, including fleas, ticks, mites, bed bugs, yet it is safe for human consumption, babies, dogs, cats and insects can't developed an immunity to it. I sprinkled it all over my back yard and my property. This stuff works great!!!
  • Shaley
    Shaley

we used for years and they make it for outdoors as well.
  • Scott Fox
    Scott Fox

If you want you may use boric acid powder.
  • Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure
    Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

packaged cornbread mix that says it is sweetened and put it where they are coming in if you can find it, or even on your counter in a small lid. They will take it to the mound, everyone will eat it and die, they can't digest the cornmeal, but will take it because it is sweetened. Little goes a long way.