DIY All-natural Coconut Oil Bug Spray Using Essential Oils

Rosemary, lavender, peppermint, & coconut "Bug Off" Spray! Sounds like tropical decadence to me, but the bugs abhor all of these previously listed ingredients. Especially peppermint. Peppermint is the most amazing and invasive plant ever. You can cut it and put it in a vase and it will keep on growing! It has been keeping the ants and bugs away in our home since early Spring.
Coconut oil is another truly amazing ingredient. It is known for its moisturizing and antibacterial qualities. I am using it as my carrier oil for my essential oils. Note: you need a carrier oil. You could use jojoba oil, Organic olive oil, or almond oil as a substitute. The coconut oil will solidify at cooler temperatures. That is why I added a pinch of salt and citric acid. I will not be refrigerating this lovely concoction and I wanted to ensure a stable shelf life for the entirety of Summer.
Things you will need:
- 8 oz. Spray Bottle(clean & chemical-free. I bought mine at our local health food store)
-Distilled, bottled water, or lavender/aloe witch hazel.
-1 tsp citric acid(optional)
-Pinch of sea salt(optional)
-1 oz. coconut oil(catnip oil is a great alternative).
-Rosemary essential oil 5 drops(cedarwood, tea tree, citronella, and lemongrass essential oils are great alternatives).
-Peppermint essential oil 5 drops
-Lavender essential oil 10 drops
Important tip: Shake your bottle prior to every use. The oils and essential oils need to be distributed evenly with agitation to get the full "bug off" benefits. Feel free to use this "Bug Off" concoction as a light moisturizer and boo-boo spray for the kids, but do note that the salt will sting a minor abrasion. I do love a multipurpose product! You are saving so much money by making this yourself. Most of these ingredients you probably already have at home in your cabinet, so really it is just about finding the time to whip it up.

Heather Paulding

• Cynthia Kendrick

Why not use fractionated coconut oil, it stays liquid?
  • Sharon Furr

lavender causesme respiratory distress what can I use instead of lavender?

• Jcque Soler

Will this work for flies?

• LadyAleta

If you use the citronella oil, it will work for any kind of insect. Most of the other oils should as flies don't like peppermint either. Nor do wasps/bees, etc. However, bees do like lavender scent, so choose wisely.

• B. Enne

Good post thanks. I have to say however, that the carpenter ants I have are actually attracted to coconut oil, so it may be a good idea to make a tiny batch and try it first.

• Gai8303611

Actually, ALL essential oils are toxic to cats. Be very careful