Easy DIY Citronella Mason Jar Candles (and a Summer Centerpiece)

It's Summer. That means BBQ's, Flip-flops, the Beach - and mosquitoes. Or "skeeters" as we call them here in Eastern NC. This year, I am combatting them with lots of DIY Citronella Mason Jar Candles. They are so easy to make. I took a few and went the extra step and created a Summertime Patio Table Centerpiece. Take a look!
easy diy citronella mason jar candles and a summer centerpiece, crafts, how to, mason jars, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
I made some of thse last year, and used recycled glass jars - such as spaghetti sauce and olive jars. This year, I decided to use some Mason Jars.
I wanted the lids to look more like metal, so some simple spray paint was all that was needed to take them from silver to metal.
A metal hole punch was used to create an entry for the wicks.
Once filled with citronella oil, the jars were quite beautiful.
I decided to use a few of the jars and take it one step further. I grabbed this burlap-lined basket from my pantry and lined the inside with plastic. I filled it with soil and planted the outer edge with small ferns and vinca plants.
And this is what it turned out to look like. A Summertime Patio Table Centerpiece.
And for those more educated skeeters, I added a little chalkboard sign. :-D
Not only is this basket functional...
It's pretty too when all the candles are lit. Please make sure you stop by my blog to see all the details on how I put these candles and this basket together. (see link below)
The Everyday Home/Barb Garrett

• Linda Ellis

How do u get the oil to become solid like some candles are? This way it won't spill oil.

• Ashley

Where do you buy citronella oil
    • Ashley

Thank u I live in fla wondering if that oil will work with mosquitos!
  • Wanda Barnes

This is the cutest idea I've seen for skeeters! Do you have information on where to buy the citronella oil and wicks for candle making? Thank you Wanda

• Carol darden

Great idea. Thanks for sharing. I will be doing this on my deck this summer!
  • Christine

I love these candels. Summer is over in NJ but we still can use them until the end of fall. I like the smell of citronella.