Easy DIY Citronella Mason Jar Candles (and a Summer Centerpiece)

It's Summer. That means BBQ's, Flip-flops, the Beach - and mosquitoes. Or "skeeters" as we call them here in Eastern NC. This year, I am combatting them with lots of DIY Citronella Mason Jar Candles. They are so easy to make. I took a few and went the extra step and created a Summertime Patio Table Centerpiece. Take a look!
I made some of thse last year, and used recycled glass jars - such as spaghetti sauce and olive jars. This year, I decided to use some Mason Jars.
I wanted the lids to look more like metal, so some simple spray paint was all that was needed to take them from silver to metal.
A metal hole punch was used to create an entry for the wicks.
Once filled with citronella oil, the jars were quite beautiful.
I decided to use a few of the jars and take it one step further. I grabbed this burlap-lined basket from my pantry and lined the inside with plastic. I filled it with soil and planted the outer edge with small ferns and vinca plants.
And this is what it turned out to look like. A Summertime Patio Table Centerpiece.
And for those more educated skeeters, I added a little chalkboard sign. :-D
Not only is this basket functional...
It's pretty too when all the candles are lit. Please make sure you stop by my blog to see all the details on how I put these candles and this basket together. (see link below)

Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
The Everyday Home/Barb Garrett

• Wanda Barnes

This is the cutest idea I've seen for skeeters! Do you have information on where to buy the citronella oil and wicks for candle making? Thank you Wanda

• Mainiebets

Great idea but I have one question if that’s ok. What happens when the wick burns below the lid? Is the citronella oil a solid? Thanks so much.

• Laura

hello,

what do you use for wicks? where do you get them?

I want to be able to make potpourri mason jar candles with orange slices, apples, rosemary and cranberries in them. I think you mix water with some veg. oil or olive oil so it'll burn.

thank you,

laura

/

/

• Nanci Plante

You can get most candle supplies at Hobby Lobby (cheapest) or other craft stores (Don't forget AC Moore is going out of business so if there is one near you, you may get some great deals)