Wendi @ H2OBungalow
Wendi @ H2OBungalow
  • Saint Petersburg, FL

DIY Wood Doormat

My DIY wood doormat is and easy one day project. I made this one 18″ x 36 1/2″ to fit our front door.
diy wood doormat, doors, how to, outdoor living
This DIY wood doormat is super simple to make. This is what the 1″ x 1 ” wood looks like when you bring it home. I had Home Depot cut these down enough to fit in my car. I used a handsaw to cut my 24 wood slats at 18″ long each. Use a little sandpaper on the ends to smooth any rough spots. If you have a table saw, it;s easy to rip a 1" x 6" board into 1" strips too.
Make a template from paper to mark where you'll drill the holes. I marked 3 holes on each slat. One 3" from each of the two ends and one in the center.
Paint and seal your wood slats and beads. String the wood slats with a bead in between. So simple! I kept the drill handy for a hole or two that needed a little widening to fit my cord through….just put the drill bit in the hole and wiggle it around to open up the hole.
I love the bright color at the front door.
It looks great with my faux painted copper door. I share this tutorial on Hometalk too!
I love that it wont shead like the old doormat we had too!
See my blog post by clicking on the link for a litte more info and the supply list if you need additional details. This is a simple project for all skill levels!
Wendi @ H2OBungalow

• Cindy Platt Hanlon

I have a double door entry so this is a great idea to make it the size I need. What was your cost?

• Rhoda Neish

@Cindy Platt Hanlon I just bought 4 pieces of this wood for like 5.00 at Lowes in PA while I was at a Friends house... the beads maybe found at Dollar Tree.. so I would say under 10.00

• Carol Cook Lucas

What kind of string and what size and kind of beads did you use? Ie wood, or what?

• Melanie

I saw one of these made on the Hallmark show Home and Family

They used paracord and wooden beads

• Melanie

What size beads did you use?

• Christina aka Queenopearls

Hi Wendi, I adore this mat! :) I think Home Depot got wind of it and, this month (March 2016) they are offering a free class on how to make one. :)

• M

Off to buy some wood, thanks for the instructions.