Sherry R
Sherry R
  • Lubbock, TX
Asked on Jan 19, 2013

Requesting suggestions: Our step-down needs a facelift. Converted garage into other space and have extra steep step.

Sherry RSLS Construction & Building Solutions LLCKMS Woodworks
+1

These pictures show the step down from kitchen into my garage. Now converted into large walk in closet space and office area. This is extremely steep step down, plus it's ugly. Need budget ideas and DIY suggestions.
This step has a coat of paint to match the walls.
Box was built for safety purposes.
This step has a coat of paint to match the walls. Box was built for safety purposes.
This is how steep without the box in place. Kitchen to the left < Walk in closet to the right > The laundry room entrance above
This is the view from my office desk. Ugh!!

Sherry, I'm concerned that you still may have some safety issues even if you make this look better, but one inexpensive solution to address that part of the problem might be to try a "quilt" of carpet squares, as this Hometalk member did in her basement: http://www.hometalk.com/738410/carpet-squares-in-basement I think i would also help if, at a minimum, the box was built out to the depth of that step on the left.

• KMS Woodworks

I would fill in the whole area level with the big concrete stoop then put in some full width steps in the photos foreground. With some proper planning the height could be dialed in for tiling the whole thing to look uniform.

• I am with Douglas on the safety concerns & with KMS on the fix - with that I would probably make the fill in piece / platform from pressure treated wood

• Sherry R

Pressure treat wood and maybe some carpet. I believe tile could be slippery coming off the kitchen step.