Painting a Couch With Chalk Paint

When a friend sent me a text asking me if I wanted her big, "loved" brown couch from her playroom I was thrilled! Finally a chance to try painting upholstery. Something I had seen all over the internet for chairs but not so much for couches.
Why not I thought?
First step is to spray down the first area you are going to paint. I did the couch in sections (for ex: one cushion at a time) so that the water wouldn't dry out by the time I got to it.
Next step is to mix up some DIY Chalk Paint made of latex paint, calcium carbonate, and water. Exact formula found at the link below.
Using a round brush, brush on the paint in fast, short, circular strokes. This is the couch after one coat of paint.
Let it dry and wet the couch down again before applying the second coat the same way as the first coat. Photo after two coats of paint
Again let dry (2-4 hours depending on humidity) and follow the same step again of dampening with water and painting. Photo shows after 3rd coat of paint. Arrows indicate few areas where a touch up fourth coat of paint is needed.
After you let it dry, comes the most important step! Time to sand, sand, and sand some more. I sanded with fine grit sand paper until the couch was no long rough to the touch.
Big difference from the old brown couch, right? It certainly took some time but was well worth it! The texture of the couch is stiff much like a leather couch but not rough at all.
For further information on this project see link below!
Tamara @ Provident Home Design

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 27 questions
  • Ali Ali on Jan 08, 2021

Where are the needed items to complete this. Great workn

• Ramona Williams Ramona Williams on Jun 22, 2021

What about color transfer. Would this be a couch that you could allow guests on comfortably? Could the color transfer to someone’s clothing?

• Gina Schuran-castillo Gina Schuran-castillo on Jul 11, 2021

I really want to do this,never painted fabric before. I am nervous though, that nobody wants to use it later,because it feels strange. And I live in Mexico,which means chasing down the proper material. Any advice for a beginner?

Comments

3 of 142 comments
  • Brenda Brenda on Jun 16, 2019

This is wonderful!!!!! Great job. My sofa is micro fiber. The back cushions are sew to the sofa. Any ideas how to fill the upper portion of the back pillows or do I need a professional?

• Darla Darla on Aug 17, 2019

If you know how to hand see. You can remove the attached pillows.

• Kelly Cason Kelly Cason on Apr 09, 2020

This looks great! I have a big blue sectional that is an eyesore but I cant afford to replace it. After seeing this, I'm sitting here trying to decide what color I want my "new" sofa 😁

Next