Celeste W
Celeste W
  • Lawrenceville, GA

DOLL HOUSE CREATED FROM CHEST OF DRAWERS

Almost 40 years ago we converted a discarded chest of drawers into this doll house for our daughter. It remains in our home for grandchildren to enjoy. I saw this idea in a magazine about the time a neighbor placed an old chest on the street for garbage collection. The one drawer that still existed was retained at the bottom for storage of extra furniture. Some of the furniture in these photographs was mine (1940's). Other pieces were added in the 1970's for our daughter and some later than that. The drawer keeps the assortment available for redecorating. During its early years, Santa with his sleigh and raindeers sat near the chimney at Christmas.
PHOTOGRAPHS SHOULD EXPLAIN THE RESULTS:
The top of the chest is an attic room. The front side of the roof is built in two pieces and hinged so that the lower portion can be lifted. It is held in place with an attached wooden prop (see photo). The roof is made with latticed wood strips, the chimney is painted with a brick design and trees and flowers are painted on the outside walls. For the floors we used carpet scraps for the bedrooms and the bathroom and a Formica scrap for the kitchen. My husband cut tiny pieces of wood and created a parquet floor for the living room. There are doorway openings between the rooms and a movable staircase. We added wheels for obvious reasons.
Dollhouse front view with roof closed
Dollhouse front view with roof closed
Dollhouse showing drawer and roof elevated
Rooms with drawer below for storage
Rooms with drawer below for storage
Side view with roof elevated
Side view with roof elevated
Side with windows and trees painted
Side with windows and trees painted
Front of roof with hinges visible
Front of roof with hinges visible
Chimney
Chimney
Bathroom
Bathroom
Bedroom with movable stairs
Bedroom with movable stairs
Attic play area
Attic play area
Kitchen
Kitchen
Bedroom
Bedroom
Living room
Living room
Three levels of rooms
Three levels of rooms
Wooden stick holds attic roof and folds down when not in use

• Katie Lucas Korzeniewski

What are the measurements for roof? How did you make the walls?

• on Jan 9, 2019

I love it. I use a Church Mice display to re tell/ show the history of our church to the Sunday School students. At present, I am using a large cardboard catering box. It is barely adequate. I am on the hunt now for a dresser.

Are the plans, instructions, measurements for the rood available?

janet

• Holly Stoepker

This is, hands down, the most adorable, ingenious dollhouse I have ever seen! I have my dollhouse furniture from the 60's and have been looking for an old dollhouse to display it in. This is perfect and I just saw an old dresser at a thrift store, today! What a terrific idea to have it on wheels, as well. I am so motivated, by your dollhouse, to get started, right away! Thanks so much, for sharing! Also, I wanted to mention that you do not look old enough to have had a child in the 1970's! That's the real secret I'd love you to share! :)

• Barbara

Great work Wonderful use of (up cycling) So charming