Cheap Fix for a Chair With Broken Cane

Have you ever found a chair with broken cane? Or maybe you have broken one of your own. I found this one at my neighbors on garbage day. I wasn't going to invest any money having the cane repaired, so I figured out the cheapest and easiest way to fix it!
A $.99 roll of jute twine!
Well, first I painted the chair white with DIY chalk paint. http://sunflowerhugs.blogspot.com/2012/12/my-version-of-diy-chalk-paint.html
After it dried, I distressed and waxed and then started weaving the twine through the holes that were there from the cane.
It took a couple of tries to get the spacing right, but eventually I was able to figure out how to create a basket weave look with the twine.
I didn't even use half the roll of twine and I think it came out amazing! It is strong enough for sitting, but I wouldn't recommend standing on it. I am sure it would break just like cane does.
I painted the chair to go with a small desk. Check out my blog for the whole makeover.

SunflowerHugs

• Kathy D

I could not do this to an antique chair- you can buy a cheaper pressed seat and use tacks to put it on or cut one out of thin wood that would be used to back a piece of furniture and drill into the new seat a star shape or some other shape with small drill holes.

• Aida rodriguez

Incredible idea. So creative. I must try this!