Jenna Burger Design
Jenna Burger Design
  • Saratoga Springs, NY

The Perfect Border for Your Beds: Defining a Garden's Edge With Stone

$60

This is the garden bed that is against the front of our home and it looks much different than when we moved in a few years ago. To define the line between the GRASS and the GARDEN, we installed (even though there was no 'real' install) inexpensive stone. These stones are a trapezoid shape - about 7 long on one side, about 5 long on the other side. Because of the stones shape, they can be layed in a straight line (by changing the direction with each one) OR on a curve (tight curve or gradual curve) to border a garden. One row high is just enough (that's what I did) or these inexpensive stones can be stacked (staggering the joint) to create a taller garden border or retaining wall. They can also be used to create a firepit. Come see more on my blog NOW: http://www.jennaburger.com/2015/05/the-perfect-border-for-your-beds/
the perfect border for your beds defining a garden s edge with stone, concrete masonry, flowers, gardening, outdoor living, raised garden beds
The garden before - only a few weeks ago...
The new garden outlined with inexpensive stones
New stone edge
Because of the stones trapezoid shape, they can be layed in a straight line (by changing the direction with each one) OR on a curve (tight curve or gradual curve) to border a garden.
Our front porch ready for the Spring + Summer!
Jenna Burger Design

• Lynne Webb

Where did you get all those stones for $60.00?

• just be aware with using the larger stones to edge.. the previous owners of our house used larger stones like that to outline where they put river rock (around trees, etc) and the grass and dirt grew right up and over them. The tree in our front yard looks like it just has grass underneath, but the first time we mowed, we found lots of rocks just under the surface when the mower tried shooting them. We’ve been attempting to rake away the overgrown grass but it is way too rooted in.

• Tresa McBride Rhode

Where can you purchase these stones?

• Ard7370318

I know you can get them at Menards since that's where we bought ours. I imagine you can probably get them at Lowes or Home Depot as well but to save you running around you could call them to see first or get online and look at their local ads.

• Pamela Presley Ferrell

I've tried this before with slightly longer stones that interlock and I still get a lot of shifting and weeds or grass growing between the joints. Any suggestions?

• Laura Laudicina

Better to have done less drastic curved for easier mowing. Also angling then down slightly in the front and up in the back would allow you to mow without string trimming.

• Joanie

I like your stones and what you did to your flower beds!!