The Perfect Border for Your Beds: Defining a Garden's Edge With Stone

$60

This is the garden bed that is against the front of our home and it looks much different than when we moved in a few years ago. To define the line between the GRASS and the GARDEN, we installed (even though there was no 'real' install) inexpensive stone. These stones are a trapezoid shape - about 7 long on one side, about 5 long on the other side. Because of the stones shape, they can be layed in a straight line (by changing the direction with each one) OR on a curve (tight curve or gradual curve) to border a garden. One row high is just enough (that's what I did) or these inexpensive stones can be stacked (staggering the joint) to create a taller garden border or retaining wall. They can also be used to create a firepit. Come see more on my blog NOW: http://www.jennaburger.com/2015/05/the-perfect-border-for-your-beds/
The garden before - only a few weeks ago...
The new garden outlined with inexpensive stones
New stone edge
Because of the stones trapezoid shape, they can be layed in a straight line (by changing the direction with each one) OR on a curve (tight curve or gradual curve) to border a garden.
Our front porch ready for the Spring + Summer!

Jenna Burger Design

• Tresa McBride Rhode

Where can you purchase these stones?

• Pamela Presley Ferrell

I've tried this before with slightly longer stones that interlock and I still get a lot of shifting and weeds or grass growing between the joints. Any suggestions?
    • Dorothy

I used long 2x4x16 pressure treated wood and drilled holes in the top every 5 feet ,put in rebar and hammered into the dirt to keep in gravell ...a great way to rid grass

.

• Sherry Bretzinger

I did these same stones and made flower beds and tree ring. All in the last two years. Now every one of those stone are discolored black and dark brown. I've tried pressure cleaning. Oh wow what a mess. The home improvements stores sell a product in a gallon jug of Spray it and Forget it Cleaner. I cannot afford $30.00 some dollars a bottle for this magic potion. Any ideas to bring the stones back to glory days ?

• Laura Laudicina

Better to have done less drastic curved for easier mowing. Also angling then down slightly in the front and up in the back would allow you to mow without string trimming.
    • Flipturn

Hi Susan,

There are two choices that you have as to the final height of the edge border. The two heights are :

1. level with the ground - This enables the mower wheels to go right over the stones, however it does not prevent dirt from working its way over top of the stones.

Here is where there is often confusion between using paving stones (also called paving bricks or pavers) as a border, and edging stones

2.raised higher than the flower bed inside, and the grass. With this option, although it will hold the dirt in better, it is harder to get the wheel of the mower close to the edge. Some hand clipping with landscaping sheers will be necessary to maintain an attractive looking scalloped edging.

If you want to hold back the flower bed dirt and mulch, the stones that you use must be a greater height than the inside bed height. This is why there are stones available that are higher than the usually paving stone height. They are sold specifically as border stones.

Someone else already noted that if you want to achieve an undulating edge shape with the stones tightly touching each other held in place, it is better to use stones that were especially designed for this purpose.

• Joanie

I like your stones and what you did to your flower beds!!