Teresa F
Teresa F
  • Montgomery, AL

Kitchen Makeover

$800

We moved into a double wide mobile home and I was determined to transform it to give it a farmhouse feel - not an easy task for a mobile home. But it was easy! I used the existing cabinets and painted them out with Behr Creamy in semigloss. The flooring is click and lock from Home Depot.
I love the new look now and I feel I achieved my farmhouse feel. I made the Roman shades myself so I saved a ton of money with that part of the makeover.
kitchen makeover, home decor, kitchen design, The Before bland unattractive typical mobile home kitchen
The 'Before:' bland, unattractive typical 'mobile home' kitchen.
kitchen makeover, home decor, kitchen design, The After Do you think I gave it a Farmhouse feel
The 'After:' Do you think I gave it a farmhouse feel?
kitchen makeover, home decor, kitchen design, I love how the light streams through the window to light up my new kitchen
I love how the light streams through the window to light up my new kitchen. The hardwood flooring made a huge difference in the room!
kitchen makeover, home decor, kitchen design, Painting the cabinets white made the stove just blend in love it
Painting the cabinets white made the stove just blend in. Love it!
kitchen makeover, home decor, kitchen design
kitchen makeover, home decor, kitchen design, The Roman Shades were easy to make but time consuming I m very happy with how they turned out
The Roman Shades were easy to make but time consuming, I'm very happy with how they turned out.
kitchen makeover, home decor, kitchen design, I opted to add a sink skirt rather than putting the cabinet doors back up It added a lot to the Farmhouse feel
I opted to add a sink skirt rather than putting the cabinet doors back up. It added a lot to the farmhouse feel.
Here's a list of what I did.
Painted walls and cabinets
Beadboard wallpaper as backsplash painted in semigloss
Removed upper doors on some cabinets
Spray painted the existing knobs
Put down easy click and lock hardwood flooring
Easy sew sink skirt
Sewed roman shades
The rest is decor.
Have fun and go for it!

To see more: http://magazineyourhome.blogspot.com/2013/01/finally-kitchen-reveal.html

• SharonandMondo Rios

concerning your cabinets....are they particle board with paper/vinyl covering? Our manufactured home cabinets have the paper covering peeling off and I don't know if paint will stick/cover the cabinets. Yours looke great!

• Teresa F

Yes! Mine were the same. I primed them with kiltz first. You can get the special 'adhesion' type that will help the paint stick. Once you have painted over the kitz with your paint of choice ( I used Behr semi gloss) make sure you let it cure for a few days for maximum durability. Mine held up EXTREMELY well. Good luck!

• Fraya

I have the same type of peeling mobile home cabinets. My daughter and I decided to redo them ourselves. Big job, but we did it in a week. Peeled vinyl off (Scrubbed and picked at times). Sanded with an electric sander (one of my favorite tools). We then painted them a crisp white (primer/paint in one). Changed the knobs for an updated look. Painted the walls a nice deep gray and added a tile backsplash (from home depot) behind the stove. I love my new kitchen!!!!

• Tammy

Painted cabinets? Peel and stick vinyl flooring for backsplace. A little whitewash on the flooring, and bug change. I did have to use spray adhesive behind the flooring , Gravity. There made for the floor not the walls. It worked very well.

• Lynn DeLano

fraya I love your redo I want to do that exactly!!! Thanks for pictures and tips

• Jacelyn

I love the redo. How can I save this as I am currently working on my kitchen?

• Linda

Love the makeover! Did you put the flooring over the existing floor?

• Teresa F

Yes, there was vinyl flooring under and we just left it in place .

• Hug22977200

i think you did a fantastic job. very well done.

• Teresa

I also own a 2010 double wide manufacturer home. Im going crazy with the cupboards in the kitchen. I dont know if they're particle board or pressed board with a paper covering. I want to paint them so bad. But Ive done alot of research and some say peel the paper off then prime and paint and others say to sand but you'll tear the paper and it'll bubble if you do it that way. PLEASE HELP IM SO CONFUSED HERE!!!