A Little More Privacy Please

$5
1 Day

I have a lovely balcony which I rarely use because it is situated on a busy street. To solve my lack-of-privacy problem I added a bamboo fence. This was not very helpful, because in the evening when I had the lights on there was too much exposure.
bamboo fence for porch, fences, how to, porches, repurposing upcycling
Being ever the frugal DIYer, I decided to look around the house and see if I could come up with a less transparent solution. I found this melamine piece which was full of holes. That did not bother me, because at least I would use something that would have otherwise gone to the landfill.
I attached it to the balcony using twine. It looked very ugly, but at least it was the right size. I decided to add plastic to the outside to make it water resistant and use something nicer for the interior. I nailed that plastic on and cut off the excess. I nailed that plastic on and cut off the excess.
Then I added a striped fabric, to echo the vertical of the bamboo fence. I simply glued it on and nailed the edges down. And then painted on some varnish for protection.
Finally it was up on my fence. It offered just enough privacy from nosey neighbors and I was able to use what I had at home. The only cost was the varnish, about $5. I have a pretty interior and a tough exterior, so that I can leave it there over the winter without worrying that it will be demolished. In fact, I like it so much I am working on another one right now. If you would like to see the final result pop on over to my blog, on the link below

• Fabric
  • Nails
  • Glue

Mary - The Boondocks Blog