Debi53
Debi53
  • Broadway, NC

Bland Split Foyer Entry to WOW Wall of Thrift Store Mirrors.

$300
1 Week

With no room for a table or even a shelf, my foyer was boring with a capital "B".
Foyer Stairwell during Remodel.
Foyer Stairwell during Remodel.
View from living/dining area during remodeling. The Stairwell had old fashioned spindles which we replaced with half walls. Old dark spindles on left; new half wall being built on right. We also installed the large window above the doors, which formerly was just a blank wall.
New Foyer Half Wall -on Right
New Foyer Half Wall -on Right
New Half Walls & Modern Spindles
New Half Walls & Modern Spindles
Construction finished. Now a light bright space, but so boring. The section of the wall where the painting hangs is 14ft. high. I know, let's fill this wall with mirrors! Just buy some mirrors and hang them. Easy, right?
No ladder was safe on the stairs.
No ladder was safe on the stairs.
First Hubby had to build a platform to cover the lower stairs and then erect scaffolding to reach the top of the wall.
Part of Our Mirror Collection
Part of Our Mirror Collection
Hubby & I spent several months trekking through thrift stores looking for mirrors with interesting shapes. I gave myself a $20 or less per mirror budget because I needed so many. I painted them with chalk paint that I made and used Annie Sloan clear wax for a soft sheen. We laid out the pattern on the floor using blue tape to mark the size of the largest portion of the 14' high wall.
Good Hubby Starts Hanging the top row.
Good Hubby Starts Hanging the top row.
Notice old chandelier that will be replaced soon.
Work in Progress.
Work in Progress.
The Finished Mirror Wall.
The Finished Mirror Wall.
So happy with how the wall turned out. We turned the corner & put a small collection of mirrors on the new half wall at the top of the stairs. See the pretty new chandelier? It ties in with the lights over my dining table & kitchen island. Also, catch a peek of the other wall reflected in the round mirror behind the chandelier. The large mirror to the far left reflects the trees from the window in the dining area.
View from living/dining room
View from living/dining room
This is an additional view of the foyer. I had a long narrow mirror that I had kept for 10 yeas, but never used. It finally found the perfect home sandwiched between the double doors and large window.
Now for the other foyer wall.
Now for the other foyer wall.
This is the view as you enter the house. The stairs lead up to the main living area. We had enough mirrors on the other side of the foyer, so what to do with this side?
Quilting Hoops
Quilting Hoops
While looking for mirrors, I found 3 quilting hoops which gave me 6 'frames.' I painted them like the mirrors. We used very short screws to hook them all together and hung them with just 2 white nails and a few screws.
Quilting Hoops as Frames
Quilting Hoops as Frames
I used my phone & snapped some close-up pictures of flowers from my yard. I had an office store enlarge the pics to 11'X17". This was the size that best fit my hoops (only $1.58 per print). I ordered self stick foam board the size of my prints. It takes two people to stick these on. One to hold the print taut while the other person gradually presses the print down & smooths out any air bubbles. I used a smooth foam paint roller. We attached the prints to the wall with removable stick on squares. Where these prints hang used to be a railing with old fashioned style spindles. When you came up the stairs your view was of the floor and the backs of furniture & electric cords for lamps, phones, etc. I really prefer looking at my flowers instead! Where I used hoops and pics of my flowers, you could use large thrift store frames with color or black & white photos. Because these are hung with reposition-able tape tabs, I can easily switch these prints out for a different look. We are expecting our sixth grandchild in January. Hmmm, 6 grandchildren under 6 years of age; 6 hoops......
Completed Foyer
Completed Foyer
From remodeling mess to beautiful view. What do you think? (We plan to replace the double doors with a single wide door and side glass eventually. When we do, I think I will paint the new door a bright beautiful color.)

• Thrift Store Mirrors  (Thrift Stores and Flea Markets)
  • Paint

• Ann

Hi Deb, I love you new foyer! I have the same foyer except we have the original wrought iron railings!! I are planning on doing a half wall this spring, but we are doing it ourselves. How high is your half wall? Any advice for DIY's?

• James Mc Farlane

Bit over kill frames should be diffrent texture /color an less is more looks like a mirror shop , need a bit off tweeking to make it desinger . Ps like the long one above the door
  • Ann

• Debi53

Thank you for your kind comment. We made our wall the same height as our island countertop in the kitchen since the stairs open right onto the island. We felt that this would keep continuity. I would recommend calling your building code office and find out what code is for your area. As long as you go tall enough to meet code, you can adjust your wall higher if you want to. Also, consider putting electrical outlets on your half wall to plug in lamps etc. My husband did ours himself, again check with your code office. If you want more detail, let me know.

• Sharon Nelson

what is the name of the color on your walls? Love what you did.

• Beth

I love the mirrors and the large window-and new half walls & wall color! We have a split foyer, as well. When we bought the house, it had been remodeled-a full and half wall had been removed & replaced with wrought iron rails. I like that it’s more open, but not super crazy about seeing the back of my couch! I would love to put in a picture window above the door to let more light into the basement! Great job!

• Ticia

While we are in a Mediterranean style home in SC, I absolutely love what you did with the mirrors and flower pics. Very inspirational for sure. We have painted our LR a similar color (the whole house was gold) and are slowly revamping it; wish you luck with all your designs. Great to see. Ticia

• Debi53

Thank you, Ticia. Good luck with your project. Redoing a house is truly a labor of love, but when it's done it is worth it.