$5 DIY Concrete Plant Stand

After browsing Pinterest for awhile one day, I came across this video on how to make a concrete stool for only $5. Say what?! So, I attempted it myself. We didn't need a stool, but we needed a cute plant stand on our porch. I was skeptical of how well it would actually work, but I was incredibly thrilled with how it came out!!
Start with a bag of concrete (ours is from Home Depot), a dowel, a bucket (I used a 2 gallon bucket so my plant stand would be smaller), and a saw.
Cut the dowel into thirds. Mix a couple of cupfuls of concrete in your bucket (Make sure to wear gloves!!)
Add a little bit of water.. (I realize a "little bit" is vague, but we really didn't measure anything out and eyeballed it all.)
Mix the concrete really well. Then use a dowel And gently tap the bucket on the outside to get out all the air bubbles.
Carefully put your dowels in. This worried me, as I wasn't sure how I was going to make sure the dowels were all level. We really just hoped for the best; and it came out perfect! Just make sure your dowels are pushed all the way in and are "thirds."
We let it dry for about 20-24 hrs. Then gently bend the bucket outwards all around to loosen up the concrete. Pull out the plant stand by the dowels. Voila!
I taped off the legs and painted them to look "dipped."
It's the perfect addition to our front door! To see more detailed instructions (AND for the detailed tutorial on how to make that "hello/goodbye" doormat), head over to my blog!
Amanda @ Dwelling In Happiness

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 4 questions

Comments

2 of 83 comments
Next