$5 DIY Concrete Plant Stand

After browsing Pinterest for awhile one day, I came across this video on how to make a concrete stool for only $5. Say what?! So, I attempted it myself. We didn't need a stool, but we needed a cute plant stand on our porch. I was skeptical of how well it would actually work, but I was incredibly thrilled with how it came out!!
5 diy concrete plant stand, concrete masonry, container gardening, diy, gardening, how to
Start with a bag of concrete (ours is from Home Depot), a dowel, a bucket (I used a 2 gallon bucket so my plant stand would be smaller), and a saw.
Cut the dowel into thirds. Mix a couple of cupfuls of concrete in your bucket (Make sure to wear gloves!!)
Add a little bit of water.. (I realize a "little bit" is vague, but we really didn't measure anything out and eyeballed it all.)
Mix the concrete really well. Then use a dowel And gently tap the bucket on the outside to get out all the air bubbles.
Carefully put your dowels in. This worried me, as I wasn't sure how I was going to make sure the dowels were all level. We really just hoped for the best; and it came out perfect! Just make sure your dowels are pushed all the way in and are "thirds."
We let it dry for about 20-24 hrs. Then gently bend the bucket outwards all around to loosen up the concrete. Pull out the plant stand by the dowels. Voila!
I taped off the legs and painted them to look "dipped."
It's the perfect addition to our front door! To see more detailed instructions (AND for the detailed tutorial on how to make that "hello/goodbye" doormat), head over to my blog!

Amanda @ Dwelling In Happiness

• Linda Rego

Can something be added to the concrete to give it a bright color, other than painting it from the outside?
  • Mary Howard

Why didn't you Paint the concrete? Adding a color wold make it pop against the orange pot. I do like it.
    • Crissy

Try using glitter glue . put in the bucket b4 u put the cement in? Then when u take it out the nxt day.it will look very pretty. Stir it up good so it will cover a lot. Use how evet much u eant

• Kris McWain

I've tried this twice now and they both cracked :(

I did the first one in a 5gal bucket. let it sit for 20-24 hours, was perfect when i took it out. brought it inside before bed, and when i got home from work the next day, it had two cracks in it.

I did the second one in a 2.5 gal bucket. Left it in my greenhouse overnight to dry (i read that higher humidity can help prevent cracking).. when i went out the next day, it had already developed 3 big cracks while drying in the bucket.

Any tips?! :(