'An Industrial Bin Turned Rustic Ottoman'

$20.00

An 'Estate Sale' industrial bin becomes a rustic ottoman with storage on wheels, and a special feature waiting within.
an industrial bin turned rustic ottoman, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture, storage ideas
So here we go friends...
We have here the pieces to the puzzle. The industrial bin, remnants of fabric, old school casters, a cushion from a trashed lawn chair, reclaimed cedar and a piece of plywood.
First up, I line up the casters and predrill the holes for the screws. After completing this process for all four casters I'm on to the next step.
Next, I sized up the lengths and place two pieces of reclaimed cedar inside the bottom of the bin. This will give it a level and clean base for future storage.
The casters were screwed down through the predrilled holes on the outside of the bin, and flush into the reclaimed cedar within, securing both the casters and the cedar boards in place.
Upholstering the footrest of the ottoman is next on the list. Here I have my premeasured and precut plywood resting on top of the lawn chair cushion.
As for the fabric, I actually chose a fabric covering not pictured in the 'before' picture. Never fails. :)
Break time, or should I say, 'Friday Fun in the Sun with a Shadow Silhouette Selfie'.
Okay, okay, on we go...
Okay, back to work. So the upholstery is tightened up and battened down. Next up, I measured up and fastened down two pieces of reclaimed cedar to the underside of the footrest.
The reclaimed cedar serves two purposes; it gives the underside a clean and finished look, and as for the second purpose? You'll have to wait on that. :)
The handles are made from twine I braided together. They were looped around the screw and secured in place when the reclaimed cedar was fastened down.
The stenciled '012' was done with an image transfer method. In this case, I printed out my desired image, then I traced along the backside of the paper.
Placing the paper traced side down on the bin I went over the printed numbers with a pencil. This left me with the outlined numbers on the bin. Then I went over each number with a fine point Sharpie, and finished off with cross-hatching filler.
The final product, an industrial bin turned down home décor rustic ottoman.
...and the special feature waiting within is a serving tray or simply a side table display.
Featured here is ice cold lemonade with fresh rosemary. Yum!
The braided twine handles make it easy to remove the cushion top, and they double as durable handles to carry the tray.
When not serving as a tray or side table display, the ottoman cover fits snug over your stored keepsakes and accessories.
Well folks, I hope you enjoyed 'An Industrial Bin Turned Rustic Ottoman'.
For more 'Learning In The Journey™' Reclaimed. Restored. Repurposed. projects please check out my other posts here: http://www.hometalk.com/learninginthejourney/posts
...and for other passions and projects check out on at https://www.pinterest.com/LITJ_RRR/ and on at https://twitter.com/LITJ_RRR (@LITJ_RRR).
Thank you tons for stopping by! Be blessed!

To see more: https://www.pinterest.com/LITJ_RRR/

• Michelle

How did you keep the cedar boards flush to the bottom of the crate as you were screwing the casters in from the other side? It seems like they would need pressure on them so the screws could bite into the wood but I can't figure out how I could teach around and do that. Thanks!

• Thank you much for the inquiry Michelle. Good question, I don't have a brilliant answer though. Ha, ha. I cut the boards to fit snug so there was no wiggle room for them to slip. Then with the bin standing on its end I simply, or not so simply screwed down the casters while reaching in the bin to hold down the cedar. It wasn't a very technical procedure, and was probably somewhat comical if someone happened to be watching. I hope that helped in some way. Thank you again for your interest.

• Jay

I love this! I'd like to make one that I could leave outdoors uncovered. So I think I would put clear Rustoleum over the metal and clear Rustoleum for Wood on the wood parts, correct? But, I'm wondering what could I use for cushioning that is water/ rot proof? I think I could cover it with some type of nice water/weathER proof material, but underneath I'd like to make it "cushy." (Arthritis, ugh) I just don't know what to use? Thank you! 😊