Cut Glass Bottles for Home Decor Pieces!

Recycle glass bottles by cutting off the bottoms and using them as jewelry or trinket dishes, or cut the tops off to make an instant vase! A bit of liquid gold leaf adds depth and shine to plain projects.
I keep a pair of these dishes on my bedside table for my jewelry and other small items - so handy!
To cut a glass bottle, you'll need to score a cutting line, and alternate very hot and very cold water to separate it.
I use a specialty tool for this called the Kinkajou, which makes the process really fast, but you could mark it off with masking tape and use a diamond-tipped drill bit or other cutting implement to score a straight line.
Once it's scored, run it under very cold water, then slowly pour very hot water over the score line. After alternating a few times, the two sides will separate. Sand the sharp edge to avoid cuts.
Paint gold leaf on the outside of shallow dishes, or on the inside of taller dishes to give them depth. You can give it a distressed look too, if you like!
You don't even need paint for this easy cut bottle vase! Soon, you'll be saving all your glass bottles to recycle them as home decor pieces and projects!
Adrianne Surian

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

3 comments
  • Hannah V Hannah V on Jun 02, 2015
    No way! I love this idea!
  • Iliana Iliana on Jun 03, 2015
    Great idea. I would like to get started. Where do you recommend I should get the materials for cutting? Say, at Hobby Lobby?
Next