How to Build Board and Batten Shutters

We just completed a makeover on a home near Nashville, Tennessee with Lowe's. It was a chance to give a home a fresh new look for spring after a very harsh winter.
The home owner was wanting to add new shutters to their windows, so we built them some board and batten shutters.
Here is our supply list:
1×6 poplar boards
1×4 poplar boards
compound miter saw
wood glue
nail gun and nails (1 1/4″, 18 gauge finish nails)
tape measure
sanding sponges
stain (We used MinWax Dark Walnut.)
rubber gloves and cloths for staining
paint sticks to use as spacers between boards
Our Lowe's helpers cut the boards to length and then assembled the shutters.
(CLICK ON THE LINK to view a short video of the whole process.)
We used paint sticks as "spaces" between the 1x6 board pieces. Then used wood glue and a nail gun to attach the horizontal 1x4 pieces.
After the shutters were built, we sanded the edges, and stained the fronts and backs with MinWax Dark Walnut stain.
So easy, but so beautiful! Check out the complete process by click on the link below.

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Beneath My Heart

• Louise
    Louise

How were the shutters hung?

• Pam
    Pam

Where is the link to watch the project video? It says it is there, but nothing I click has that video.

• BobC
    BobC

Seems to me that the shutters appear to be non-functional. When it be better to be able to close them to protect the windows during a bad storm? To do so they would probably need some hinges pain locking mechanism. Good idea? Thanks. Bob

• Dani Hyde
      Dani Hyde

What Megan said. But from missouri

the biggest surprise I found with shutters was inside shutters from the 50s or before in the house I’m buying. So I’ll have privacy along with open windows and dogs won’t jump out of the windows 💕🤦‍♀️Have had a bull dog jump out many windows til I got new windows where they could pull down.

I mean. I think it would be extra cute but with screens. U would have to go outside to shut them. If u didn’t have a screen then I would suggest a shutter I guess

• Joanie
    Joanie

I love it ALL......great job fella's!! Everything looks fab !!!

• Sierra
    Sierra

I love these shutters. So much better than the one’s sold in stores. Great job!