Beneath My Heart
Beneath My Heart
  • Wilmore, KY

How to Build Board and Batten Shutters

We just completed a makeover on a home near Nashville, Tennessee with Lowe's. It was a chance to give a home a fresh new look for spring after a very harsh winter.
The home owner was wanting to add new shutters to their windows, so we built them some board and batten shutters.
how to build board and batten shutters, curb appeal, diy, how to, window treatments, windows, woodworking projects
Here is our supply list:
1×6 poplar boards
1×4 poplar boards
compound miter saw
wood glue
nail gun and nails (1 1/4″, 18 gauge finish nails)
tape measure
sanding sponges
stain (We used MinWax Dark Walnut.)
rubber gloves and cloths for staining
paint sticks to use as spacers between boards
Our Lowe's helpers cut the boards to length and then assembled the shutters.
(CLICK ON THE LINK to view a short video of the whole process.)
We used paint sticks as "spaces" between the 1x6 board pieces. Then used wood glue and a nail gun to attach the horizontal 1x4 pieces.
After the shutters were built, we sanded the edges, and stained the fronts and backs with MinWax Dark Walnut stain.
So easy, but so beautiful! Check out the complete process by click on the link below.
Beneath My Heart

• Dawn Crosby Norway

How did you attach them to the brick? I also have a brick home that I am trying to bring some color and character to the front without actually painting the brick.

• Dorothy Howard

How to attach them to the house?

• Caroline Gerardo

I tried the baby diaper gel added to sand/compost/ vermiculite and it got moldy with hard top. I tried also with other mixes same result. However this was when my children were babies some time ago maybe the material is better now?

• Caroline Gerardo

The shutters are wonderful!!! I think the planter window boxes look too small in scale with the white bricks. Because they are small you will need to water often to keep anything alive

• Cathy Landslide

There are soils that have more water retention qualities. Also I read once about using the insides of new baby diapers and mixing it in with the soil, but haven’t tried it - should work well.

• Yvette Gurule

not a fan of shutters but these are really nice