Beneath My Heart
Beneath My Heart
  • Wilmore, KY

How to Build Board and Batten Shutters

We just completed a makeover on a home near Nashville, Tennessee with Lowe's. It was a chance to give a home a fresh new look for spring after a very harsh winter.
The home owner was wanting to add new shutters to their windows, so we built them some board and batten shutters.
how to build board and batten shutters, curb appeal, diy, how to, window treatments, windows, woodworking projects
Here is our supply list:
1×6 poplar boards
1×4 poplar boards
compound miter saw
wood glue
nail gun and nails (1 1/4″, 18 gauge finish nails)
tape measure
sanding sponges
stain (We used MinWax Dark Walnut.)
rubber gloves and cloths for staining
paint sticks to use as spacers between boards
Our Lowe's helpers cut the boards to length and then assembled the shutters.
(CLICK ON THE LINK to view a short video of the whole process.)
We used paint sticks as "spaces" between the 1x6 board pieces. Then used wood glue and a nail gun to attach the horizontal 1x4 pieces.
After the shutters were built, we sanded the edges, and stained the fronts and backs with MinWax Dark Walnut stain.
So easy, but so beautiful! Check out the complete process by click on the link below.
Beneath My Heart

• Jeanie

I was wondering about the flower box...did you make it too? If so do you have instructions?

• Pam Delnevo

How did you attach the shutters to the house?

• Kathy Jerman

How did you attach the shutters to the brick work of the house?

• Cindy Platt Hanlon

Why did you not stain the boards before putting together?

• Sue Lofgren-Gilmore

How do they hold up with moisture from rain?

• Donna West

I'd like to know as well.

• Amanda Gates-Lamothe

I'm sure you can cover them with a clear coat of low sheen poly spray or paint it on ?

• Penny Shofner Frizzell

I would NOT put a clear coat on them. A clear coat will crack and peel with weather. I have cedar shutters and have used Austrailian Timber Oil on them which penetrates the wood rather than top coating, thus no cracking. You can recoat every year or two and it only deepens the natural grain of the wood. The water will just bead up and roll off with the Timber Oil, which comes in several color options. I use Cabots. The biggest mistake that I see with wooden shutters is using a topcoat on them. It will not hold up over time.

, Rough grain cedar shutters with Cabot s Austrailian Timber Oil I just put a new coat on them a few weeks ago after two years and they are even richer looking now
  • Lynn Karsten

How would you attach to vinyl siding? Thanks!

• Margaret Willman

how can I attach this to a concrete wall?

• Corinne Shanks

How did you attach to brick?

• Tmas

No answer? They make anchors where you drill a hole and hammer in, then when you screw into them it spreads and holds.
      But if like to know what they actually used too.
  • Erica

What color paint is on your bricks?

• Annie

How about instructions for the matching flower boxes? Would love to do these along with the shutters. Thanks

• Lisa Crossen Maginnis

I love this look and I'm definitely going to give this project a try. How will these stand up to weather??

• Jamie Peck Janke

I would suggest to use outdoor stain, indoor stain cant really handle the weather unless it gets topped off with a varnish

• H

How much would you say it costs per shutter?
  • Dianeg1234

These shutters look awesome. How did you attach then to your home I am not seeing how they are connected to the house. Thank you
    • Sandy

I'm guessing they used masonry screws.
    • Janet

I have vinyl siding and would love to replace our faded shutters with these. How would they hang on vinyl?

• Rebecca

How did you hang them?

• Jessica

I have made one shutter so far but stopped before staining. It says on the Minwax that it is for interior use only. Has the stain held up outdoors over time?

• Ront4649

I haven't built shutters, but I did make a potting table. I stained it and let it set up and put Thompson's water seal on it. Beads water really well. I couldn't tell it did anything to the stain.

• Katie Long

how did you mount them? I dont see any visible nail holes ect.

• Barry

What is the color on the brick?

• Kaiti Colleen L

Look amazing!! What did you top coat them with to weather proof?? How did you hang them??

• Cathy Landslide

Idk what she used but you can use these concrete anchors from Amazon (also available from hardware stores)

• Dawn Crosby Norway

How did you attach them to the brick? I also have a brick home that I am trying to bring some color and character to the front without actually painting the brick.

• Hasana

When I put stuff in concrete I go for the soft part of the concrete whatever they use to put the bricks together

• Dorothy Howard

How to attach them to the house?

• Caroline Gerardo

I tried the baby diaper gel added to sand/compost/ vermiculite and it got moldy with hard top. I tried also with other mixes same result. However this was when my children were babies some time ago maybe the material is better now?

• Caroline Gerardo

The shutters are wonderful!!! I think the planter window boxes look too small in scale with the white bricks. Because they are small you will need to water often to keep anything alive

• Cathy Landslide

There are soils that have more water retention qualities. Also I read once about using the insides of new baby diapers and mixing it in with the soil, but haven’t tried it - should work well.

• Yvette Gurule

not a fan of shutters but these are really nice