Crabby Fruit Crate Makeover

My oldest son, Keith, called me a couple of weeks ago. It seems that the company he works for was in the process of renovating a house. The previous owner had left some stuff in the garage and Keith was invited to look through the leftovers before the house was cleaned out for rehab. At least, I think that was the story. The only thing that really got my attention when he called was, I have a bunch of crates and would you be interested?
So now, a couple of weeks later, I had 8 fruit crates sitting in my front hallway. I immediately set out to find inspiration. It's really amazing to see what creative people have found to do with old crates. Finally settled on a storage box with lid. I have a weakness for boxes.
Cut 3 pieces of pallet wood to use for the top.
To give the lid something to attach to, a portion of a 22 deck baluster was attached to the crate. Used a miter saw to cut 45 degree angles in the corners. Finish nails held the baluster in place while screws were inserted from the back.
The smaller piece of pallet wood was attached to the baluster I had just installed while the other 2 larger pieces of lid pallet wood were attached together with glue and nails from the back with cross supports.
Filled in a couple of the larger holes on the sides with even more pallet wood before attacking the outside with stain. The inside was painted white.
Another coat of gray covered up the dark stain. Once dry, the entire crate was sanded once again with a palm sander. You can see the stain peaking through again.
Being from Maryland, I had to have the crab logo on top . This one was found online.
Finished up with hinges and rope handles.
Make sure you stop by ScavengerChic.com for a lot more pictures, what my inspiration piece was, where to find the crab logo, directions on how to transfer and paint and more. I only have to figure out what to do with 7 more crates.

ScavengerChic