Jack Sander
Jack Sander
  • Austin, TX

Diy Rolling Cabinet

$50

This rolling cabinet is made entirely out of 1x2, 1x4 and 2x2 boards. It only cost me 50 $ to build, including the hardware (hinges, latch and caster wheels). The cabinet is extremely handy and now that I have used it for a few weeks I can say it was a great idea. I can move it easily and use it as a laptop table or place it in a corner and store things behind the doors. If you enjoy the rustic look, you should give it a go.
diy rolling cabinet, diy, painted furniture, rustic furniture, woodworking projects
I like the rustic farmhouse look, so I don't mind the small imperfections that really add character to the project.
The first step is to build the sides of the cabinet. Use 2x2 lumber for the frame and 1x4 slats for the panels. If you want to get the job done quicker, you should use 3/4" plywood for the panels. Drill pocket holes along the edges of the panel and insert 1 1/4" screws into the frame. Add glue to the joints and clamp everything together tightly.
Build the front of the cabinet in the same manner described above: 2x2 lumber for the frame and 1x4 slats for 3/4" plywood or the panels. Drill pocket holes and lock everything together tightly. Make sure the corners are square before inserting the screws.
Next, you need to attach the 2x2 supports to the back of the cabinet. Drill pocket holes at both ends of the components and secure them to the frame using 1 1/4" screws. Attach the bottom to the rolling cabinet. You can use 1x4 slats or 3/4" plywood. Use brad nails and glue to secure the bottom into place.
Build the door panels out of 1x4 slats or 3/4" plywood. Attach the 1x2 trims to the front of the doors. Use glue and 1 1/4" brad nails to secure the trims to the panel. Make sure the edges are flush before inserting the nails.
Attach the doors to cabinet using hinges. Next, fit a latch to the doors. Use 1x4 slats or 3/4" plywood to build the top. Insert 2" screws through the frame into the tabletop. Add glue to the joints and leave no gaps between the components.
Check out the full project along with a cut list and step by step plans at my blog.

Jack Sander

• Deb Martin Knaff

You could charge BIG BUCKS for that beautiful piece of work!! Well done!!!!!!

• Jack Sander

@Deb Martin Knaff Thank you for the compliments! I haven't thought about selling my projects. I'm doing it for the sheer pleasure of building and building... You should see my backyard... I almost run out of space... Hahaha

• Joanie

Hey Good for you.. .......this is nice, very nice........Be PROUD, you built a nice cabinet.........thank you!!!