Staining on top of chalk paint to create that wooden look...

Some wood doesn't accept stain and get the color you want... Sometimes you just want an aged weathered look... I have found over the past year the wonderful charm that can be added when you stain directly on top of the chalk painted surfaces. Take a look here for more information. http://www.vintagecharmrestored.com/?p=1156
ASCP Chateau Grey and Dark Walnut Stain & Dark Wax
Le Craie Chocolat and Jacobean stain with dark wax
ASCP Coco and Jacobean stain with wipe on poly

• JoAnn

So in this technique, you used chalk right on top of the laminate table top? No sanding?

• Zuny Maria

I'm planning to stain my pine dining table, walnut stain, but I don't now what's the best way/product to protect the paint. I appreciate any advice, this is my first project, I need to impress my hubby and family. Thanks

• Elaine

I use Dixie Bell brand Gator Hide on top of all my chalk paints I use of theirs. You can use it on stains also. I really like the way 1-2 light coats protect the wood but give it just a slight glazed finish without it being too shiny maintaining an older finish. Hope that helps!

• Marianne Gouveia

Hello -- I used a Jolie chaulk paint with a gray stain on top and it is very tacky. It has been 3 days --any ideas of why this happened and how I can fix it?

• Regina

Did you put a flat, satin or gloss clear coat over the chalk paint letting it dry for 2 days; then apply the gray stain? The coating over the chalk paint allows the stain to easily be applied and wiped off. The chalk paint is very porous and stain will only be embedded into it without a sealer, maybe that is why it is very tacky. I hope this helps.

• Lozza

I will definately experiment with the chalk paints,waxes and stains,as I love up cycling furniture,I always buy second hand ,as the quality is so much better,and as I have 3 teenage boys,better quality bedroom furniture with stands,kids being a little rough.😀

• Shirley Bennett

I make my own chalky paint and enjoy wax or stain finish. Depends on the look you want light wax or dark, some with stain light or colored make your own effect.