Staining on top of chalk paint to create that wooden look...

Some wood doesn't accept stain and get the color you want... Sometimes you just want an aged weathered look... I have found over the past year the wonderful charm that can be added when you stain directly on top of the chalk painted surfaces. Take a look here for more information. http://www.vintagecharmrestored.com/?p=1156
ASCP Chateau Grey and Dark Walnut Stain & Dark Wax
Le Craie Chocolat and Jacobean stain with dark wax
ASCP Coco and Jacobean stain with wipe on poly

• Fred

Really nice! What's the process for doing the chalk paint/wood top finish?

• Gail West

I chalk painted a cabinet, but I would prefer to stain it with walnut stain. It has wax on it. Can I stain over it without sanding it?

• Sherry Chastain

Can I put stain over the chalk paint that has been waxed?

• Marilyn Sanders

What kind of stain do you use?

• Shy Cee

This look is just what I want for my table top. It is painted with AS Old White and I would like to get your step by step instructions if possible .... thank you so much!

• Kris Sorensen Nichols

I love this look! I have a dining room table that I am interested in doing this technique. If I could get your step-by-step instructions I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

• Beth

This is exactly what I want the top of my table to look like. How did you do this?

• Jenny

HOw did you do this? I want to do this to some shutters I have

• Lori

I'm new to chalk paint. Just curious why you used a stain finish (?) instead of the Annie Sloan dark wax? I love this look & would really like to re-create it! Can you list the products used? Thanks!

• Jilly Bean

how long does it take for stain to dry and do i need to steel wool after dry

• Terri Ann

I don't use steel wool , but sometimes I do use the finest grit sandpaper then wax or poly.
      But I also make my own chalkpaint with home depot acrylic testers, they mix my color choice and I add 2 tbsp of plaster of Paris. ( which is about 4$ per 2L box)
      I end up paying 4$ for my color instead of 16$ for their 8oz color.
  • Deb

I love the way these photos look! I would like to use turn an oak tv stand into a walnut color. Will chalk paint go over varnished wood? If so, what colors of paint and stain would you recommend for me?
    • I am not the writer of this post but I have done this process many times. Especially over laminate. Yes you can go right over varnish. As for paint color you can use anything from White to dark brown depending on how dark of a Walnut you are looking for. Personally I would start with a light brown. You can build up the stain just like in any other staining process until you achieve your desired shade
  • Sue Mezz

Hi. I love your posts! I guess my question is can wood stain be applied directly to chalk paint without the waxing step? I have an electric fireplace that is cherry. It's served me well for years but my tastes have changed over the years and it's the only cherry piece left in the room. it is dark and glossy and I want to lighten it to match a piece from pier 1 with distressed wood. Thank you in advance!
    • I have done this process myself many times. You can do this and then top it with poly just like you would in any staining process.
  • Tina P

I have a table that is chalk painted and waxed. Can the wood stain go over the wax? Or do I have to remove wax? If so, how can that be done??? Thank you so much for any help.
    • Jennifer Greeley

You have to remove the wax. You can remove it by using a blow dryer and a plastic scraper. If you have a heat gun, you can use that as well but don't hold it too close to the table or in one spot for too long. When finished removing the wax, clean the whole thing with mineral spirits and let dry. You can google how to remove wax from chalk painted furniture.

• Deni R Kroening

I've found that just using mineral spirits on a rag will quickly remove all types of wax. I always use mineral spirits to clean a piece before I start to clean off dirt, grim and any waxes that may have been applied.

• Gette Hester

I have a table that was chalk paid red a yellow with a wash over it. I want a weathered wood look. I can find the stain the does this but can I put it on directly without sanding ?
  • Robin-Lynn Snow

Did you cover the top completely with a smooth finish of chalk paint and then do strokes with the stain?

• JoAnn

So in this technique, you used chalk right on top of the laminate table top? No sanding?

• Zuny Maria

I'm planning to stain my pine dining table, walnut stain, but I don't now what's the best way/product to protect the paint. I appreciate any advice, this is my first project, I need to impress my hubby and family. Thanks

• Tracy Musgrave

I would like to know also. I have a pine kitchen table I want to do dark walnut

• Elaine

I use Dixie Bell brand Gator Hide on top of all my chalk paints I use of theirs. You can use it on stains also. I really like the way 1-2 light coats protect the wood but give it just a slight glazed finish without it being too shiny maintaining an older finish. Hope that helps!

• Marianne Gouveia

Hello -- I used a Jolie chaulk paint with a gray stain on top and it is very tacky. It has been 3 days --any ideas of why this happened and how I can fix it?

• Lozza

I will definately experiment with the chalk paints,waxes and stains,as I love up cycling furniture,I always buy second hand ,as the quality is so much better,and as I have 3 teenage boys,better quality bedroom furniture with stands,kids being a little rough.😀

• Shirley Bennett

I make my own chalky paint and enjoy wax or stain finish. Depends on the look you want light wax or dark, some with stain light or colored make your own effect.