MiHee Webb
MiHee Webb
  • Davis, IL
Asked on Jan 23, 2013

what about he machines?

DeeDeeShariSherry LaMar
+4

Can you use the home made detergent in the he machines?
  • Miriam I

@Clover House, DeeDee I think this question is for you regarding your homemade laundry detergent.

• 3po3

I just re-read @DeeDee's blog post about this. Just as I thought I recalled, she said on her blog that she has an HE machine, and uses this recipe in the machine: http://www.hometalk.com/600966/homemade-laundry-soap-28-per-year

• DeeDee

Hi @MiHee Webb! YES you can use the home made detergents in your HE machine. I have been using my home made powder for a while now and I'm loving it! You can see a very good conversation right here:http://www.hometalk.com/600966/homemade-laundry-soap-28-per-year If you try it let us know how you like it! :)

• DeeDee

Thank you @!

• Sherry LaMar

Yes you can

• Shari

I would highly recommend using a homemade laundry powder recipe in your HE machine. All the products used in DeeDee's homemade laundry powder are HE safe but more importantly, it would appear powdered products are MUCH better for your HE washer than liquid soaps and fabric softeners. Before I bought my HE front load washer, I did a lot of research because the common complaints of mold, mildew and stinky smells they have a tendency to develop scared me to death. I didn't want to spend almost $1000 on a washing machine that was going to stink and make my "clean" laundry stink too. The more I read, the more I saw a strong correlation between the stinky washer problems and LIQUID laundry products. It would appear the low water levels of the HE machines do not adequately rinse away the oils that are contained in liquid laundry soaps and liquid fabric softeners. The oils cling to the washer's internal parts and provide a perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew to grow. About 4 months ago I switched from store-bought laundry powder to DeeDee's homemade powder version and I love it!

• DeeDee

YAY @Shari! I'm so glad you're enjoying it...me too! :) I love what you said above and I wanted to add that since I've started using the home made powder my machine doesn't ask to be cleaned as often as when I used the liquid soap full time...I think it likes it too! LOL!