Front Porch Ideas
Front Porch Ideas
  • Hermitage, TN

Natural Wood DIY Garden Bench Tutorial

Our garden bench project is not only something doable, but results in a lasting gift or garden decor that will be cherished for years to come. Leaving the edges of the wood natural makes it a perfect outdoor accent for any style garden, porch, entry, or home.
Though it may seem difficult, with the right tools it's a project for people with basic to intermediate woodworking skills and we provide you with a step-by-step tutorial, complete with a video, in full on our site! Here's the basics of what we did-
natural wood diy garden bench tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor furniture, woodworking projects
Our bench is made from cherry, but no matter what wood you choose to use, the process is basically the same- you need a top and two legs. Most garden benches are between 16 and 20 inches tall; however, you can choose a different height if you wish.
Cutting wood: I cut the legs from the same piece of cherry so our height was determined by that amount of wood I had on hand. Our seat is 44 inches long and the legs are 16 3/4 inches long (cutting the parts from the same piece of wood allows you to carry the color and grain across the piece making for a more aesthetically pleasing bench).
Making square: If the boards you are working with are not out-of-square too much, you may be able to sand them square. In our case it would have taken considerable effort to sand it square, so I opted to use a portable planer.
You have several options for attaching the legs to the seat. I used dowels and wood glue which work really well and minimizes screws, nails, or other materials to keep everything as natural as possible.
I assembled the legs and seat with wood glue and clamped until the glue dried. Note that I did not place the legs at 90 degrees to the seat as is typical. Angling them gives the bench a more natural appeal and adds lots of interest to a DIY garden bench.
The next step is attaching a brace between the legs. It is a bit easier if your legs are 90 degrees to the seat; however, in this case they were not which makes it a little more challenging. I simply angled the brace and slid into position and then used pocket screws to attach the brace, covering them with angled dowels.
I used a natural clear stain to bring out the wood grain and then finished it with several coats of poly to protect it.
Mary and I loved the way it turned out; a beautiful DIY garden bench for the yard or your front porch!
Get the full tutorial with all the steps at the link below:

Front Porch Ideas