How to paint mesh patio chairs that have faded

+22
Can you paint vinyl mesh outdoor patio chairs?
  • Funnygirl Funnygirl on Jun 04, 2015
    Yes,I have read that stores for auto parts sell vinyl spray paint for car seats.Not sure how many colors.
  • Lee Lee on Jun 04, 2015
    Yes, I just painted our old patio set. Our set had been outside for years and the metal frames looked fine, but, the vinyl fabric was looking faded and dirty. I looked into replacing the fabric, specialty paints and other options. Then it dawned on me to just use the same paint I've been using for everything in our new solarium. First I scrubbed them with soap and water and a splash of bleach. Then I taped off the metal parts where it mets the fabric parts. I used a 2 inch disposable brush and gave each chair at least 2 coats of this paint. Behr Premium Plus, ultra pure hi gloss enamel. http://t.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-1-gal-Ultra-Pure-White-Hi-Gloss-Enamel-Interior-Exterior-Paint-805001/100175675 They look like new chairs. I wanted white for the fact that white is the best color for full sun and UV resistance. But you can get this painted tinted to any color you want.
  • Lee Lee on Jun 04, 2015
    So far, so good. Hubby was concerned about the same till his 250 lbs sat in them, no problem. I liked the way they turned out, so much, that I painted another chair that hubby picked up at a yard sale. It was black and super ugly, but comfortable. Now I think it's super cute. I am including a close up of the fabric, so you can see the weave.
    • Mike D Mike D on Apr 22, 2017
      Was wondering if this method filled in the holes in the mesh? Our chairs are outdoors and the airflow helps them dry out after a rain?
  • Ramona Lundrigan Sturge Ramona Lundrigan Sturge on Jun 05, 2015
    yes just buy sparay paint for plastics
  • Danny Ridgeway Danny Ridgeway on Jun 06, 2015
    I would try a spray paint for plastics, also. First I would give them a thorough scrubbing to remove any embedded dirt, let dry completely and then several light coats of the spray paint, allowing sac coat to dry in between.
  • Joy Joy on Apr 11, 2017
    Thanks so much for this - I will have a look for the Behr paint. All searches I've tried have been for spray paint and I've tried it before but it's so hard to get an even colour so I wanted something I could paint on with a brush or sponge.
  • Cosette Strong Cosette Strong on May 15, 2017
    Hi! I love this idea and want to try it out! Question: Did the paint transfer once someone sat on it? My hubby is worried about that....
  • Michelle Michelle on Jun 09, 2017
    Yes did it work to fill the holes?? And what does it feel like? Is it all hard and uncomfortable??
  • Shannon Fleet Shannon Fleet on Jul 12, 2017
    i hope they answer these questions because we found some lounge chairs for my son and he wants them painted.
  • Castrang17 Castrang17 on Jul 12, 2017
    Shannon, I just read an article on painting summer patio furniture with webbing. I have wondered the same thing and have put my chairs away until I web them. Yes, you can spray the webbing with Krylon Fusion for Plastic and the whole chair too. The paint dries fast but make sure it is, before sitting on it. Now I have a project too! Good Luck!
  • Teresa Teresa on May 26, 2019

Hi I painted my zero gravity chairs. I used Rust-Oleum. I unlaced the fabric, spray pained the metal frame black and the fabric a light turquoise. After the paint dried I relaced it back on.

• Heidi Heidi on Jun 28, 2019

Hello, I would like to spray paint my zero gravity chairs as well, but I am wondering if the paint makes the fabric feel different or is it not even enough to notice? I have thoughts of getting stuck in them even long after the paint dries or somehow the paint remaining slightly tacky. Any problems?

• Teresa Teresa on Aug 09, 2019

Hi, my chairs sit in the sun all day long and they are not sticky at all!! I really don’t notice much difference in the fabric. I would suggest you take a picture of how the fabric is laced before unlacing the chair.

Good Luck!!🍀

• Pat Smith Pat Smith on Feb 22, 2020

Since I have. Two loungers and two chairs, the taping would be tedious. Would it work to use 2x paint and spray it all white? 2x is metal, plastic, etc

Sold in spray paint aisle by rustoleum. Love the white look in these photos..

• Ilonks Ilonks on Dec 14, 2020

I think that would be fine. If you are concerned about ALL white being too much. You can choose to rape off just a few simple areas that you think would look good without paint. I once did a simple wrap of tape on chair legs. Just one round trip of paint every few inches. I made sure they were obviously not meant to be perfectly measured & did not line up with other tapings. Spray painted & when I removed the tape they looked great.

• Teri Teri on Feb 14, 2021

I have an older set of cushion outdoor chair pads that have a vinyl plastic type fabric that have faded. Score 4 chairs and pad at a yard sale. I am wondering if this paint ping would work on the pads.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Jun 09, 2021

spray paint will work

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Jun 26, 2021

spray paint the mesh chairs

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska 2 days ago

spray paint