Asked on Jun 6, 2015

Ideas of what I can do with this great find

N. Susan HartVickiNancy Hatcher
+65

I saw this and had to have it. It's very heavy, I don't know what it was before. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Heavy metal, about 18" x 16" x 12"
  • Chatty Larson
    Chatty Larson

I love it !!! Weave the tiny lights in it & hang it in the yard.

• Tamara Goetten
    Tamara Goetten

use the base as a planter and hang the top on the wall and wire a brass or copper plate in the center as a focal point. That way in your room the pieces would be cohesive.

• Karlotta Stephenson Brown
    Karlotta Stephenson Brown

put a plastic plant saucer in the bottom and use it to hold you wet boots and umbrellas while they dry on a porch.

• Meredith
    Meredith

Attach a strap or rope inside add a pretty scarf - summer bag. Assuming it's not oversize

• Terry
    Terry

i think i would altered it into a fairy house..

• Connie Phillips
    Connie Phillips

put a string of twinkle lights in it for an outdoor latern

• Mollie Hoff
    Mollie Hoff

Remove the lid. Turn it upside down. Take a three light (small) chandelier from one of those old ugly brass light fixtures. Paint all to match, hang in bathroom over your tub, in your laundry room, over your dinette, or in a little girl's room. Paint according to the room you place it. As is, IF it closes well and if you place rubberized cushions on the bottom to add stability; you can add a round glass top to use as an end table outdoors or inside.

• Lindy
    Lindy

You said it was very heavy so that cuts out the purse idea. How big is this? That would help with thinking up an idea as to how to repurpose.

• Barb Fraser
    Barb Fraser

Put the same colored large flower pot inside and plant morning glory's...place it in a rock garden, so the flowers can trail into the rocks. I can see it !! :)

• Cynthia Nye
    Cynthia Nye

Keep it simple, the basket is already ornate. Paint it to match decor, multiple candles inside (in clear holders), maybe an silk ivy "boa" (can't think of the word) around the bottom = beautiful patio table centerpiece. Great find! :-)

• Joyce
    Joyce

how about removing lid, cover with round wood, acrylic, etc. for use as an end table?

• WB
    WB

Beautiful the way it is....do a nice inside material and use it as storage in any room.

• Donna Gadbaw Mitchell
    Donna Gadbaw Mitchell

Make it into a light. Put LED lights inside.

• Pam Lindau
    Pam Lindau

Lamp base?

• Meaganlhd
    Meaganlhd

It is lovely! Depending on your decor, you could line it with a removable cloth bag and use it as a towel hamper in your bathroom.

• Julie Harrison
    Julie Harrison

so nice see through- candles in it in a glass bowl, keep the lid on for safety, look great as is, inside or out- that is if there is no rust on it- or you could ship[ it to me I love it

• Melanie Fowler Gross
    Melanie Fowler Gross

I'd find a glass that would fit, put a candle in it (battery operated) surrounded by your vase filler of choice ( potpourri, shells, decorative balls, etc.) and set it on an entry table or bathroom vanity in a table scape

• Tris Smith
    Tris Smith

Yarn holder or turn it into a hanging light fixture.

• Charlie
    Charlie

A few big candles. hang it add a dowel perch, put a couple of colourful life like birds in it. garbage can large clear glass balls that would reflect the light and give a rainbow effect. Keep but open lid, then use as a planter, with a pot inside. Paint pot same colour as bin.

• Donna weahunt
    Donna weahunt

Make it into a chandlier light fixture with all crystal and glass beads. Beautiful for bedroom or even bathroom.

• Mimi Haywood
    Mimi Haywood

I would be using it to hold a plant after lining it with moss or even coco fiber. Would put a plant saucer for catching excess water so as to not let bottem get wet.

• Mary Friedline
    Mary Friedline

I think I would find a piece of glass to make the top, the put battery operated Christmas lights ( white or colored ) and use it as a coffee table.

• Brandy Kirlin
    Brandy Kirlin

I get Moroccan vibes, make it a table. Stenciled and stained round wood top. Repaint the base whatever color you like, I could see it being equally pretty in a bright or a neutral color.

• Lee Cunningham Green
    Lee Cunningham Green

I would go with solar lighting and make a porch chandolier out of it, it's really a wonderful find, how large is it? I would definately light it up and enjoy those details.

• Diane Nuckolls
    Diane Nuckolls

you could use it as a side table outside. put lights in it to luminate the patio. use it as a plant stand for a fern. also light it up.

• Ter890249
    Ter890249

If the top is attachable I would make it a hanging lamp. It's beautiful.

• Mary Kuhn
    Mary Kuhn

Use as a plant cover up for a large plant pot. Inside of house, palm maybe.

• Maggie Huffman
    Maggie Huffman

If you can find a bucket/container to fit, it could be a unique addition to your bar...perhaps to hold ice...or snacks for casual get togethers...a lucky find for you!

• Nan
    Nan

If it is sturdy enough, cover it with upholstery and use as an ottoman.

• Nan
    Nan

Use it as an end table in your living room.

• Inetia
    Inetia

Fill it with string lights and hang it.

• Susan Bechamp
    Susan Bechamp

Treat it the same way you would a wreath form. Place it by the door, either on the floor or on a table, or let it BE a table to hold another decorative item. It's versatile enough to lead many lives.

• Lindy
    Lindy

It seems to cast beautiful shadows in the sunlight so if you filled it with solar powered "fairy lights" (I've seen them on line for maybe $20-$25) it would be lovely at night. If its rattan maybe under a covered patio? Too pretty to cover up-maybe a specialty cut glass top for indoor use with a lovely floral arrangement on top.

• Linda Fraser
    Linda Fraser

I would double duty it. I would find a container that would fit inside with at lease 1 1/2 inch room between it and sides of cage. I would will the space with white lights. That would showcase the beautiful scroll work. Inside the insert container you could fill with whatever you need in the room but don't want sitting out in the open when not n use. Remote, crochet, etc.

• Amy
    Amy

I think it would be great to cover the top and use it as a foot stool!! You can spray paint it any color.

• Heliane Ripley
    Heliane Ripley

Is it wicker or cast iron ?

• Sherry Fram
    Sherry Fram

Put a hurricane vase inside and put in a candle, the shadows will be so pretty!

• Vicki
    Vicki

succulents/spag moss nside would look awesum..a real show piece...

• Kaioverbeck
    Kaioverbeck

Use it as a accent piece in your bath with towels in it

• Karen
    Karen

A strand of clear Christmas lights inside

• Gail
    Gail

Flameless candle with sphagnum moss

• Cindy
    Cindy

Put a small trash can in it for the bedroom or bathroom

• Karlotta Stephenson Brown
    Karlotta Stephenson Brown

Put a piece of glass on the top. and use as a side table. Glass tops are cheap at hobby lobby and goodwill.

• Lynn Lodge
    Lynn Lodge

Put a nice colored material sack in it and use it in your bedroom as a hamper

• Linda Fraser
    Linda Fraser

please take a pic and tell us what you ended up doing with it

• Jenny
    Jenny

Place a shallow planter with a Mandeville vine or ivy. Train the vine to go through the grooves.

• Marjo
    Marjo

Make it into a unique hanging light fixture.

• Ande
    Ande

Store your garden hose in it.

• Tonya
    Tonya

It sure is beautiful. Use a candle or small light, just to high light the intricate designs.

• Hilary Janin
    Hilary Janin

Use a $1 solar light inside and a cushion on top and hey presto another seat for the garden.

• Cyndijdalton
    Cyndijdalton

I found an old lamp stand at goodwill and hung a birdcage on it added a candle and placed it in my yard. It looks awesome. I spray painted a clear coat over the whole thing, and add and remove the candle when using. We took rebar (any hardware store should have this) and placed it through the bottom of the lamp stand so it stays in place.

• Debbie
    Debbie

I have several ideas..Spray paint it a color that goes with your theme around your pool and store beach towels in it for when company comes. or buy a round trash that can sit inside it and spray paint it and put in as a decorative trash can. Or put a large flower pot in it with beautiful flowers growing and add a string of lights in it. You could maybe put a glass top if not to heavy for it and make a very cool side table and but flowers in the bottom. I don't think it is strong enough for a seat... but storage would be great.

• Kvinson
    Kvinson

I think that is so cute! You said it's heavy, I wonder if it would look really neat attached to an old bicycle as the bike's basket? It has a lot of charm! I love the idea of making it into a seat for outside or in. You could fill it with some decorative balls from Hobby Lobby and make a great centerpiece..great conversation piece! Please post if you know what it's and where it's from (era)! Ty

• Kvinson
    Kvinson

Sorry, know what it is...*

• Victoria
    Victoria

It looks like it's made with wrought iron....too good to leave out near a pool, in my opinion! I'd use it as extra cushion storage in the LR or BR...

• Janice cox
    Janice cox

put a round piece of glass on top and use it as a coffee table. Could paint to match ass. in the room.

• Vicki
    Vicki

its a statement piece without doin a thing to it....cheers

• Bev1359113
    Bev1359113

cannot tell what size it is from photo. i would agree with making a statement piece indoors.

• Gabrielle Gidley
    Gabrielle Gidley

I would line it in a dark color and then make a bar out of it....add a spot in side for the wines and bottles and then an area for the glasses. You can also see if you can lock it.

• Kelly S
    Kelly S

I would use it to hold extra pillows or as a magazine rack in the living room just as it is.

• Daniele
    Daniele

I like it the way it is. Maybe paint it a color you like and use it as a planter or outside light, lamp

• Nancy Hatcher
    Nancy Hatcher

You could run a ribbon in your favorite color through the top & bottom of the basket part. Then you could get some silk flowers to match and either put them on the bottom or wrap the shortened stem in the ribbon and hang from the lid. I just realized you have 64 comments so you should have enough ideas to make your head spin ;-}!

• Nancy Hatcher
    Nancy Hatcher

One other idea........I could take it off your hands! I love your find!

• Vicki
    Vicki

yes i wonder how much to post to new zealand haha..as i said b4 its a statement piece just how it is....enjoy

• N. Susan Hart
    N. Susan Hart

It might have been a bird cage.