Theresa King
Theresa King
  • Farmington, MO

Kitchen Makeover for $100 With General Finishes Milk Paint!!

Oak cabinets....anyone else have oak cabinets and want something different?! My sister did, so I grabbed my paint brush and favorite General Finishes milk paints and went to town!
kitchen cabinets makeover with milk paint, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting
This is the day 1 of her makeover, as well as my son hiding behind the pizza box! She has a great size kitchen, but needed some more personality and to lighten everything up.
Day 2: half the doors are off and waiting for me in my garage. This is 1 coat of a 50/50 mix of General Finishes Linen and Antique White milk paint. The best part of milk paint- NO PREP WORK! Just clean the surfaces really well and paint!
So. Many. Doors!
Here's a visual: L) original door. C) 1 coat of Linen and Antique White 50/50 mixture. R) 2 coats of 50/50 mixture. Now ready for antiquing glaze.
Here's 1 door with the antiquing glaze and 1 without. The glaze is pretty thin compared to paint. I paint the entire surface with glaze, then use an old tshirt to wipe off the excess until I have the effect I want. Super simple and there are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this step!
In between doing the doors' coats, I would go back to her house (thank goodness she's only 4 doors away!) and work on the cabinetry. All the same steps here!
A close up of the finish. She wanted to lighten the space, but didn't want bright white. That's way too much pressure to keep clean! And with a house full of teenagers, who needs that kind of pressure 😆
And finally out back together!! Her countertops and floor are now great accessories to her kitchen!
For more project ideas and photos check out www.facebook.com/tkingscreations

• Suzanne Siracuse Harris

I have plywood custom cabinets that have been painted dark green - not sure of the paint type. Would they need to be stripped before attempting to do this? I love the size of my cabinets which is why I would like to keep them.

Thank you for your help.

• Puc32793344

I would test one first, and you’d have to sand first to get the “tooth” for it to adhere.

But general finishes is a great paint and I think it would work fine.

• Karen

Do you finish with any type of clear coat?

• Alma Rode

My cabinets are the builder grade, fake wood (laminate) oak and the trim is actual oak. Can you use the milk paint over laminate without sanding or priming?

• Cheryl Williamsen

If it’s melamine (very thin,Iike paper), I would not sand it with 120. Too coarse. You can sand the wood if the old urethane is missing in places.

I would clean it with TSP and after rinsing it off, I’d wipe down the melamine with denatured alcohol.

If in doubt, yes, do a test piece first.

• JoAnn

It looks great. She needs new appliances now!
    • Ashley

I agree about not filling up landfills, and the horrible upkeep with stainless, but she could always sell the old appliances at a reduced rate, or donate them for a tax write off, then buy new ones. This would keep the ones in good condition from going to the landfill. Also, if any appliances break down, scrap yards will pay for the value of the metals, and recycle them. Just few tips I've learned over the years to keep from throwing so much out.

• Lynn

I’m going to try Milk Paint On A Old Old milk can. ? What the Heck.