Repurposed Salvage Mailbox

Welcome back to another edition of Flea Market Friday! I’m still working on flipping the items I showed you that I brought back from SNAP. Today I took the comments you left on the post showing you the stuff I brought back from SNAP, and used them in my flip. You all had some great ideas! So I decided to do a reader repurpose on the mailbox. I took the “paint it red” idea from Karen (@Somewhat Quirky Design) and Lisa (@Concord Cottage). Then I took the idea from Kirby (@Kirb Appeal) and added a license plate. I didn’t use the Utah plate because I decided to go with a Texas theme after I painted it red. You know Deep In The Heart of Texas. Nothing like a little vintage TX farming love for me. Here is how this little diamond in the rough turned out.
repurposed salvage mailbox, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
The first thing we did was to clean it up. We removed the stickers, used a grinder to remove this piece that held an emblem, and then straightened out the top flap. I washed it up and then painted it red with spray paint from Rustoleum.
Then we measured the plate, bent it, and attached it. You can click on the link below to see all the details on how we bent the plate.
You are probably thinking I will use this on my house for mail, but that is not the case. I live 1000-foot off the main road, and our mailman only delivers off the road in his car. So instead of collecting our mail outside, I am going to use it to collect our mail inside. There are days I bring home the mail and it just ends up in a pile on the kitchen counter or desk. Then I start going through it a few days later. With this mailbox I will be able to keep the mail neatly in one place, instead of having a messy pile on the counter.
Make sure you click on the link to see the step by step tutorial as to how we added the license plate.

Shannon Marburger