Barb
Barb
  • Buffalo, NY
Asked on Jun 8, 2015

Patio umbrella keeps blowing over

Brenda Jones HornerMogieJoy30150932
+13

Does anyone have a easy solution to keep opened patio umbrella from flying up and falling over even on a semi windy day? I have the heavy base, it's in a hole in a patio table, but it still blows over. Even, sometimes, when it's closed. Any tips would be appreciated.
  • Tonia

Fill a bucket with sand or gravel you can slide the umbrella pole into it. Since the bucket is taller than the normal base it will give more support.

• Barb

Thank you for your suggestion and for your quick reply. Unfortunately The wind lifts my umbrella up. But I am going to use your suggestion to steady the umbrella

• Cornelia willert

on your next walk look for unique beautiful stones (color, a hole in it or something else, an eyecatcher) then tie a nice looking (strong!) ribbon aroung and bind it on the corners of the umbrella (sorry for my english, my mothertounge is german).

• Barb

Thank you. I am going to try this. Your English is very good. My daughter has been to Germany a few times. She LOVES your country. ! 😀

• Ann1712311

A concrete block on top of your umbrella stand

• Kim

I have tried almost everything.. I have tied it to my railing in an X or upside down Y fashion but, when you close it you have to adjust the slack in the rope. I am going to try drilling through the bottom of the pole and long screw it into the stanchions on my balcony. Last year it was closed, we had some light winds and the dam thing was lifted straight up 20 ' and set on the roof of my building. I would have paid to see that..
    • Delimom50

That's not a bad idea! Hope it works.
      I think the umbrella poles should come with pre-drilled holes (just under the table) to slide a bolt through and prevent it from flying out of the base. My umbrella flew into neighbors yard.
  • Cheryl A

if you have the plastic base then fill it with sand or cat litter or even small rocks
  • Suzan

I am having the same problem with my umbrella. Maybe it's because it is freestanding without a table to secure it. I had a 28 lb base for it and it flew away. It even blew over when closed! Then I got a larger 55 lb base but it still lifted like a kite when a strong gust blew. I love the breezes on my deck but the umbrella thing is getting to be a problem.
    I am considering (thought I don't want to) buying a table now to steady the umbrella. Hoping it doesn't lift the whole thing up again!
    I'm also wondering if my vent doesn't have enough vents? It has one small vent to help with 'lift' but maybe I need a different umbrella, I saw some with multiple vents. Just a few of my ideas as I struggle with the same issues. Good luck!
    • Delimom50

Suzan, I have a vented umbrella, and the wind still lifts it up out of the heavy metal base. My table is mesh, no glass, as my sister's glass table broke when her umbrella tipped the table over from wind.
  • Mar30344757

I have the table, the table went over too. i am resolved to the fact I have to keep it closed and tied .... :-( Good luck with your tAble. Maybe yours will work.
  • Pat

Our umbrella base was made to put sand in or something heavy...never had a problem....in the table center or out of the table. I think the suggestion of a bucket of sand with the umbrella pole put down in it....you could even bolt the pole to the side of the bucket is a good idea.
  • Joy30150932

You base is probably too light and requires something much heavier. I have one that is made of wrought iron and it stands up even on the windiest days.
  • Mogie

Cement a pipe into the ground and insert the pole of the umbrella into that. Our pole was 8 ft. and 3 ft. was put into the ground the pole stuck up 5 ft. Took care of the problem and cost (including bag of kwik set) less then $25.
  • Brenda Jones Horner

Need an idea. I used a 5 gallon bucket with 2 ft PVC centered for umbrella pole and filled with cement. Then I placed the bucket in a larger planter and filled in around and to the top with rock. It is so heavy I placed it on a plant caddy to move it. Yet - with umbrella closed - the wind will still knock it over.