5 Ways to Kill Weeds With Stuff You Have Around the House

Want to avoid chemicals to kill weeds? Here are ways to stop weeds with weapons you already have.
Image: HouseLogic.com
1. Newspaper. It blocks sunlight and oxygen from reaching the soil. Cover the newspaper with mulch. And add more layers if weeds pop up.
2. Old shower curtains and carpet samples. Spread in garden paths or between rows. Cover with mulch.
3. Corn gluten meal. This corn by-product stops seeds from growing into weeds. So use it around established plants After harvest, spread the meal to prevent late-season weeds.
4. Vinegar. The acetic acid in 5% vinegar sucks the life out of plant leaves. It's most destructive to young plants with immature roots. For tough weeds, you might need a stronger vinegar solution (20%).
Tip: To target the vinegar so you don't spray the plants you want to keep, cut the bottom out of a 2-liter plastic soda bottle and put it around the weed. Then spray vinegar into the bottle so there's no splatter.
5. Vodka. Mix 1 ounce with 2 cups of water and a couple of drops of dish soap to dry out weeds that live in the sun. Doesn't work that well on shade-loving weeds. Protect your good plants, because vodka will dry them out, too.
Have you tried any of these treatments? Was it worth it?
You can check out our original post here: http://goo.gl/5lOY27

HouseLogic.com

• What about those humungous dandelions ( in amongst the grass), that seem immortal?
    • Cheryl

I read, in early spring. to use corn meal. Since there were a lot of weeds in my veggie garden. before planting, I spread it "all over" my 36' garden. It is supposed to be a "natural birth control," for weeds. Does not kill them, just prevents new ones. It worked great. I have NO weeds but a lovely, thick crop of grass. I'm going to buy more and use it on my lawn.

• Kim

Do you know how to kill creeping Charlie? I've spent a small Fortune on all types of killers. Besides borax, I want to keep the good grass that I do have

• Brenda Cochran Haley

Our yard is covered with stickers. Our pets are having a hard time going out to use the bathroom. Any advice?

• Patsy St George

thanks 4 d tips

• Sophia

the paper, even heavy black plastic won't stop bamboo. Trust me, it grows right through heavy black plastic. I have been unable to kill it no matter what I do.