Rescued Picnic Basket

I recently gave new life to an old, tired picnic basket. And all I used were some paper napkins and Mod Podge.
I found the old picnic basket at a thrift store and knew I could give it a fresh, new look with some pretty paper napkins.
First, I brushed on a layer of Mod Podge (I understand that watered-down white glue works well, too).
Next, I placed the napkin down and patted it onto the basket weave.
Then I brushed on another layer of Mod Podge and let the basket dry. The ModPodge dries clear.
I finished off the basket by painting out the handles and trim with white spray paint. I love how you can still see the weave of the basket! It has an almost hand-painted appearance. More step-by-step photos are available at the link provided below.

21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Jeanie

• Grandma
    Grandma

In your blog, you mention lightly sanding over all the basket. Is this necessary? What did this do?

• Liz
      Liz

What a beautiful idea for storage! Well done and easy is an added bonus.

• Mary Brady
    Mary Brady

Can you use material instead of a napkin?
    • MzzLady
      MzzLady

possibly a very thin, light muslin fabric or #90 cheesecloth .... paint your own design.... any fabric store would have it....
  • Sharon
    Sharon

Where do you get your beautiful paper napkins that you did the basket weave in the picnic basket
    • Kristin Bagrier
      Kristin Bagrier

Hi, I know I'm not the author but I've seen this done and have been wanting to do it myself. You cut out the images you want from the napkin and use the same technique but only in the areas you want the flowers and then seal the entire surface.